hmm too bad indeed!  I got some years late.

Best,
   Leo
On 3/31/2020 6:10 PM, Shirley Tracy wrote:

I’m a writer, but a few years ago I used Grammarly to help me edit a book I was writing. I had no trouble using the program back then. Now, several years later, I recommended it to a friend who uses JAWS, and she told me it was not very accessible. I got on the site just to see, and I hardly recognized the program. Not JAWS friendly and not blind friendly at all from what I can tell. Too bad.

Shirley Tracy

From: Leo
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 6:39 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: What's your thought on using Grammarly with Jaws

Well, now that I've tried the extension for Microsoft word, I can tell from my own experience that it's

not accessible, well, really to be more accurate, it's accesible to some degree, which isn't much, but the navigation through the grammarly pain is too clumsy. I had to use touch cursor, which seems the only way to get through the pain, but still I found some unlabeled buttons. I requested sighted assistance to see if there was some kind of marker on the words or structures in which grammarly purportedly singled out as mistaken, and apparently, those words were underlined, but jaws 2020 didn't report any.

As for explaining why one might need a grammar checker, in my case it's very simple, I'm not a native English speaker, and even though a good strategy to learn a new language is thoroughly memorizing grammar rules, a language learner will always find linguistic pitfalls that are extremely  difficult to sort out. I said that I could move through the grammarly pain with difficulty, well, the words that the extension underlined were all awkward expressions, not exactly grammar mistakes, this is one of the reasons I really like grammarly, and I wish it were fully accessible. Hopefully, this new Microsoft editor will  vertiginous improve through its self-proclaimed AI the detection of such graceless and unnatural expressions.

Best,
   Leo

On 3/31/2020 1:51 PM, JM Casey wrote:

Grammarly is supposedly much more comprehensive and so forth than what MS Word currently offers. That said, stayed tuned – I just saw a press release from MS about all the new features that are coming, including a powerful grammar checking and editing utility called “Microsoft Editor” that will be  as powerful as Grammarly at least. I think it’s a mistake to use those programmes myself, or maybe it’s just a personal thing for me, but hey, I guess if you feel it’s what you need, go to it. Anyway, the new mS app will be available with new editions of Office 365 and also downloadable as an extension for Edge and Chrome.