moderated Re: use of Jump to Line feature in web pages

David Griffith

Thanks for this – I had no idea that Jaws had this ability – I  have saved it for future reference when I come across  these pesky things.

David Griffith

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: 31 March 2020 17:04
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: use of Jump to Line feature in web pages

As Dean pointed out, it is primarily useful in connection with the mouseover keystroke. If, for example, I log into my credit card processor’s portal I have items like “Administration”, “Terminal”, “Reports” etc.

These items are mouseover links which means that if a sighted person hovers over, for example, “Terminal” then they see a new menu pop up further down on the screen with things like “Purchase”, “Refund”, “Void” etc.

If I press enter on any of them nothing at all happens, but if I use the Jaws Key + Control + Enter keystroke to activate the mouseover link, Jaws will say “change at line 9”

I then immediately press “J” and follow this by 9 and enter, Jaws will go to line 9 and now if I down arrow I can see and access all the options which have appeared there.

I find many websites use such mouseover links and in some cases they are properly labelled and Jaws will announce them as mouseoever, in other cases it may just say “link” or possibly nothing at all to identify what it is, but if I press enter on something and nothing apparently happens I always try the mouseoever link keyboard shortcut.

Best regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 8:55 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: use of Jump to Line feature in web pages

Robin and All,

It is an annoyance to me and I have never used it.

LOL, As if I would know which line something is on.

You are correct, a place marker makes more sense.

I'm not sure what it's good for.

In fact, if I didn't sometimes erroneously hit the letter J on a web page, I would not even remember the jump to line function is there to use.

Glenn

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 10:23 AM

Subject: use of Jump to Line feature in web pages

I’m curious how people use the Jump to line option in virtual view.   Do you see a benefit of this over setting a place marker?    It’s a new feature since moving to JAWS, so just wondering how to use it to my advantage.

Robin

Windows 10, JAWS 2020

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key, send an email to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.