moderated Re: use of Jump to Line feature in web pages

David Griffith

Thanks for this – I had no idea that Jaws had this ability – I  have saved it for future reference when I come across  these pesky things.

David Griffith

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: 31 March 2020 17:04
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: use of Jump to Line feature in web pages

As Dean pointed out, it is primarily useful in connection with the mouseover keystroke. If, for example, I log into my credit card processor’s portal I have items like “Administration”, “Terminal”, “Reports” etc.

These items are mouseover links which means that if a sighted person hovers over, for example, “Terminal” then they see a new menu pop up further down on the screen with things like “Purchase”, “Refund”, “Void” etc.

If I press enter on any of them nothing at all happens, but if I use the Jaws Key + Control + Enter keystroke to activate the mouseover link, Jaws will say “change at line 9”

I then immediately press “J” and follow this by 9 and enter, Jaws will go to line 9 and now if I down arrow I can see and access all the options which have appeared there.

I find many websites use such mouseover links and in some cases they are properly labelled and Jaws will announce them as mouseoever, in other cases it may just say “link” or possibly nothing at all to identify what it is, but if I press enter on something and nothing apparently happens I always try the mouseoever link keyboard shortcut.

Best regards,

Sieghard