moderated Re: Accessibility of Vlc with Jaws?

JM Casey

Heya. Nope, no luck with jaws cursor at all and I’m one of those people on Windows 10 who can still use it for a lot of things. Only was able to get some additional info using touch cursor. It wasn’t too nice though…not recommending. Mind you, JAWS now has the scan cursor also to take the place of jaws cursor in certain instances. I don’t have JFW 2020 so, maybe someone could get better results with that.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerardo Corripio
Sent: March 28, 2020 11:06 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Accessibility of Vlc with Jaws?

Which makes me wonder if the Jaws cursor would make this info readible within Vlc?

Gera

Enviado desde mi iPhone SE de Telcel

El 28 mar 2020, a la(s) 8:43 a.m., JM Casey <jmcasey@...> escribió:

I feel like some months ago I was able to read some of this info using the touch cursor, but it is hardly the most practical solution when trying to listen/watch a video etc, so yeah…that’d be nice.

Sent: March 28, 2020 8:59 AM

What I’d like to be able to do with Jaws and Vlc, is to see how long the audio is, how much time remains, like with the competitor’s.

Gera

El 27 mar 2020, a la(s) 7:17 p.m., David Griffith <daj.griffith@...> escribió:

As far as I am aware I don’t have any problem accessing preferences in VLC with either Jaws or NVDA. I just hit control P and tab through the  options.

It may be that there are parts I am missing that I  am not aware of though? What is the problem for you?

I have resisted upgrading to the absolutely latest version  of VLC I am still on 3.0.7.1.

I am glad others are still having a good experience with WinAmp. For me on several Windows installs on both my Desktop and Laptop I was experiencing lockup and crashes apart from the problem not playing some modern radio streams which VLC seemed to have no problem with. This experience made me personally think it was time to move on to something that was still being developed and supported.

David Griffith

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 27 March 2020 16:35

nVDA still won't read preferences etc though for me. Does it work for you? Otherwise, yeah  there is certainly more feedback for status and things like that.

I have no trouble with Winamp and the latest build of windows 10, and I use it for audio -- but I play a lot of vieos and VLC is hands down the best player I have found for that. There's a lot of power under the hood and really I've only scratched the surface.

-----Original Message-----

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Griffith

Sent: March 27, 2020 10:38 AM

There are masses of keystroke  which work with VLC - in particular I love the ability to speed up and slow down podcasts on the fly but I agree that there is a big gap for scripts  providing information.

I have looked in vain for VLC scripts.

As a guide to  what could be done you only have to load the NVDA VLC addon which completely transforms VLC information feedback. For example or all the information you require you only have to press the I key.

Often I quit Jaws when I am going to be using VLC as the experience is so much better supported.

to given that WinAmp is increasingly unsupported and to some extent obsolete, I moved to VLC as WinAmp kept on crashing under Windows 10,  and failed to play some streams that VLC had no problem with, it seems utterly bizarre that Jaws provides no support for VLC at all.

David Griffith

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 27 March 2020 11:54

To: Jaws for Windows support EMail List <main@jfw.groups.io>

Subject: Accessibility of Vlc with Jaws?

Seems to me that Vlc with Jaws isn’t that accessible? I did a Jaws+h command, but I didn’t get any kind of help info. Can you with Jaws and Vlc, see how long the audio is, how much time Elapsed and other info, maybe with Jaws scripts? Thanks for experiences you guys might have with this combo.

Gera

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.