moderated Speak On

David Griffith

I have never distributed my Speak On material through this list before but given the recent interest here in using Speak On as an option as an accessible eBook Reader and Podcast Reader I thought that I should do so just this once.

There is a Speak On Mailing list where both I and Isaac the program developer reside with others which may, in future, be more appropriate for more detailed

discussion of Speak On.

Details below.

I finished the Podcast on using Speak On as a Podcast reader yesterday and the link to this is also provided below. I think it is OK though I have not

listened all the way through.

The Podcasts are being distributed by talking Computers on a monthly basis and will be eventually hosted also on the Speak On Web Site. However, especially

at the moment I have no problem with any others linking through their websites etc so that as many as possible enjoy Speak On now in what are difficult times.

First is a link to the most recent Podcast and then the full list.

09 Speak On and Podcasts.

This Podcast covers searching for a Podcast, subscribing to a Podcast by adding to Favorites, downloading Podcast, and browsing the Category Online directory

Service. As part of this it show how Speak On acts as a virtual BBC Sounds app. It also covers importing OPML files from another Podcast Reader and briefly

covers the optional VI Podcast app which provides access to selected Podcasts of interest to Blind and Partially Sighted People.

Note For a demonstration of the third Podcast facility in Speak On , via the tunein Radio app to download Podcasts and Radio shows from that service, please

refer back to Podcast 5 on Internet Radio and Speak On.

https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/tv8u7i

https://www.dropbox.com/s/88efq4jhsumskij/09Speak%20On%20and%20%20Podcasts.mp3?dl=1

Speak On Resources

You can download Speak On media Suite from

http://www.speakon.org.uk/SpeakOn.html

Mailing List for Speak On

Previous Speak On Media Podcast

Linkds are provided with SendSpace and DropBox.

01 Introduction Speak on Media Suite.mp3

This Podcast covers setting up Speak On Media, changing the default synthesiser to a more friendly voice and introduces you to the range of apps available

by default, and then the further apps available through additional optional plugins.

https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/otzppu

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8y09u2leqstfxa5/01%20Introduction%20Speak%20on%20Media%20Suite.mp3?dl=1

02 Getting an Audio Books into Speak On Media Suite.mp3

This Podcast describes how shortcuts and the send to menu in File Explorer can be utilised to make it much easier to import books and other content into

Speak On Media.

https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/v7dhkt

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yuj67i26b4f8dtk/02%20Getting%20Audio%20Books%20into%20Speak%20On%20Media%

20Suite.mp3?dl=1

03 Playing Daisy and Audio Books in Speak On.mp3

This Podcast covers loading and reading of Daisy and Audio Books. It explains Speak On navigation options, bookmarking, and varying the speed and volume

of playback. It also introduces Speak On’s context sensitive help feature.

https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/ye758q

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nqqvar1l0v66agi/03%20Playing%20Daisy%20and%20Audio%20Books%20in%20Speak%20On.mp3?dl=1

04 Reading eBooks on Speak On

This covers.

-changing the Reading Voice.

- Navigation levels available in the eBook.

- Managing Bookmarks and getting book size information.

-Tabbing through the Player Bookmark list and Library view.

- Adjusting the speed and volume of book playback on the fly.

- Copying and pasting text from an eBook into Notepad.

- Saving Sections of the book as text files.

- Creating a "virtual eBook" based upon a search term.

https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/akbva2

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6prii2ctprlonak/04%20Reading%20eBooks%20on%20Speak%20On.mp3?dl=1

05 Speak On and Internet Radio

This Podcast covers

- Using a free or paid Tunein account to access Radio in Speak On.

- Using the optional VI Radio app.

- Importing Radio Streams into the Other Media app to create a 3rd Customised Internet Radio app.

https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/sgqix8

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgwfljk44v2yp6o/05%20Radio%20with%20Speak%20on.mp3?dl=1

Link to a Radio Streams folder to import into Speak On.

https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/p7xu1m

06 Using Speak On and the RNIB Reading Service.

This Podcasts covers downloading a daisy Book from the new RNIB Reading Service and playing it in Speak On.

https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/j006ie

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8gi9lhz98twk9mx/06%20Speak%20On%20and%20the%20RNIB%20Reading%20Service.mp3?dl=1

07 Speak On and the RNIB Newsagent Service Part 1 - Newspapers.

This Podcasts covers.

1. Advantages of using Speak On to easily access the eText Newspaper service, including its Virtual Reader function to streamline reading.

Installing the task and logging into the eText service.

Lloading of Newspapers, navigation and adjustment of speed and volume of playback.

Setting up favourite papers.

Bookmarking and extracting articles into text files.

https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/d40tj7

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4y5bhyzdhy9vz0/07%20Speak%20On%20and%20RNIB%20eText%20Newsagent.mp3?dl=1

08 Speak On and the RNIB Newsagent Service Part 2 Magazines.

This Podcast covers accessing the RNIB magazine service and the workaround needed if the RNIB has broken a link from a Magazine to Speak On.

https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/jsp0da

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qde2fmple3c6gg1/08%20Speak%20On%2C%20RNIB%20and%20eText%20magazine%20.mp3?dl=1