moderated Re: Getting out of the menu in docs

Andrew Law

Hi Anna, I haven’t read all the messages in this thread, but have you tried Ctrl+Alt+z to turn on screen reader support? Otherwise here is some information for you
Keyboard shortcuts for Google Docs (Windows)
Note: Some shortcuts might not work for all languages or keyboard formats.
To open a list of keyboard shortcuts in Google Docs, press Ctrl + /.
You can also use menu access keys. Open any application menu using the keyboard, then type the underlined letter for the item you'd like to select.
Common actions
Copy Ctrl + c
Cut Ctrl + x
Paste Ctrl + v
Paste without formatting Ctrl + Shift + v
Undo Ctrl + z
Redo Ctrl + Shift + z
Insert or edit link Ctrl + k
Open link Alt + Enter
Show common keyboard shortcuts Ctrl + /
Save (every change is automatically saved in Drive)Ctrl + s
Print Ctrl + p
Open Ctrl + o
Find Ctrl + f
Find and replace Ctrl + h
Find again Ctrl + g
Find previous Ctrl + Shift + g
Hide the menus (compact mode) Ctrl + Shift + f
Insert page break Ctrl + Enter
Search the menus Alt + / or Alt + Shift + z or (in chrome): Alt + z
Screen reader support
Enable screen reader support Ctrl + Alt + z or Alt + Shift + ~ (tilde)
Speak selection Ctrl + Alt + x
Speak from cursor location Ctrl + Alt + r
Announce cursor location holding Ctrl + Alt, press a then l
Announce formatting at cursor location holding Ctrl + Alt, press a then f
Speak the table column and row header holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then h
Speak the table cell location holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then n
Speak the table row header holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then r
Speak the table column header holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then c
Menus
Context (right-click) menu Ctrl + Shift + x or Ctrl + Shift + \ (back slash)
File menu In Chrome: Alt + f, or Alt + Shift + f
Edit menu In Chrome: Alt + e, or Alt + Shift + e
View menu In Chrome: Alt + v, or Alt + Shift + v
Insert menu In Chrome: Alt + I, or Alt + Shift + i
Format menu In Chrome: Alt + o, or Alt + Shift + o
Tools menu In Chrome: Alt + t, or Alt + Shift + t
Table menu In Chrome: Alt + b, or Alt + Shift + b
Help menu In Chrome: Alt + h, or Alt + Shift + h
Accessibility menu (when screen reader support is enabled) In Chrome: Alt + a, or Alt + Shift + a
Input Tools menu (in docs in non-Latin languages) Ctrl + Alt + Shift + k
Toggle input controls (in docs in non-Latin languages) Ctrl + Shift + k
Show your browser's context menu Shift + right-click

Text formatting
Bold Ctrl + b
Italicize Ctrl + i
Underline Ctrl + u
Strikethrough Alt + Shift + 5
Superscript Ctrl + .
Subscript Ctrl + , (comma)
Copy text formatting Ctrl + Alt + c
Paste text formatting Ctrl + Alt + v
Clear text formatting Ctrl + \ (backslash) or Ctrl + Space
Increase font size Ctrl + Shift + >
Decrease font size Ctrl + Shift + <
Paragraph formatting
Increase paragraph indentation Ctrl + ]
Decrease paragraph indentation Ctrl + [
Apply normal text style Ctrl + Alt + 0
Apply heading style [1-6] Ctrl + Alt + [1-6]
Left align Ctrl + Shift + l
Center align Ctrl + Shift + e
Right align Ctrl + Shift + r
Justify Ctrl + Shift + j
Numbered list Ctrl + Shift + 7
Bulleted list Ctrl + Shift + 8
Move paragraph up or down Alt + Shift + Up or down arrow

Text selection with keyboard
Select all Ctrl + a
Extend selection one character Shift + Left or right arrow
Extend selection one line Shift + Up or down arrow
Extend selection one word Ctrl + Shift + Left or right arrow
Extend selection to the beginning of the line Shift + Home
Extend selection to the end of the line Shift + End
Extend selection to the beginning of the document Ctrl + Shift + Home
Extend selection to the end of the document Ctrl + Shift + End
Select current list item holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press e then i
Select all list items at current level holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press e then o
Text selection with mouse
Select word Double-click
Extend selection one word at a time Double-click + drag
Select paragraph Triple-click
Extend selection one paragraph at a time Triple-click + drag
Navigation shortcuts
Two groups of shortcuts below help you move quickly through your document or table:
•Move to the next or previous item with Ctrl + Alt + n or Ctrl + Alt + p followed by another key.
•Move quickly around a table with Ctrl + Alt + Shift + t followed by another key.
Document navigation
Move to next heading holding Ctrl + Alt, press n then h
Move to previous heading holding Ctrl + Alt, press p then h
Move to next heading [1-6] holding Ctrl + Alt, press n then [1-6]
Move to previous heading [1-6] holding Ctrl + Alt, press p then [1-6]
Move to next graphic (image or drawing) holding Ctrl + Alt, press n then g
Move to previous graphic (image or drawing) holding Ctrl + Alt, press p then g
Move to next list holding Ctrl + Alt, press n then o
Move to previous list holding Ctrl + Alt, press p then o
Move to next item in the current list holding Ctrl + Alt, press n then i
Move to previous item in the current list holding Ctrl + Alt, press p then i
Move to next link holding Ctrl + Alt, press n then l
Move to previous link holding Ctrl + Alt, press p then l
Move to next bookmark holding Ctrl + Alt, press n then b
Move to previous bookmark holding Ctrl + Alt, press p then b
Move to next formatting change holding Ctrl + Alt, press n then w
Move to previous formatting change holding Ctrl + Alt, press p then w
Move to next editholding Ctrl + Alt, press n then r
While viewing revision history or new changesCtrl + Alt + k
Move to previous editholding Ctrl + Alt, press p then r
While viewing revision history or new changesCtrl + Alt + j
Table navigation
Move to the start of the table holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then s
Move to the end of the table holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then d
Move to the start of the table column holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then i
Move to the end of the table column holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then k
Move to the next table column holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then b
Move to the previous table column holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then v
Move to the start of the table row holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then j
Move to the end of the table row holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then l
Move to the next table row holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then m
Move to the previous table row holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then g
Exit table holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then e
Move to the next table holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press n then t
Move to the previous table holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press p then t
Other tools and navigation
Open revision history Ctrl + Alt + Shift + h
Open Explore tool Ctrl + Alt + Shift + i
Open dictionary Ctrl + Shift + y
Word count Ctrl + Shift + c
Start voice typing (available in Chrome browsers)Ctrl + Shift + s
Page up Page Up
Page down Page Down
Move to next misspelling Ctrl + ' (hyphen)
Move to previous misspelling Ctrl + ; (semi colon)
Insert or move to header holding Ctrl + Alt, press o then h
Insert or move to footer holding Ctrl + Alt, press o then f
Move focus to popup (for links, bookmarks, and images)holding Ctrl + Alt, press e then p
Open chat inside the document Shift + Esc
Move focus out of document text Ctrl + Alt + Shift + m
Return focus to document text Esc
Focus containing webpage (e.g. using Docs in Google+)Ctrl + Shift + Esc
Images and drawings
Resize larger Ctrl + Alt + k
Resize larger horizontally Ctrl + Alt + b
Resize larger vertically Ctrl + Alt + i
Resize smaller Ctrl + Alt + j
Resize smaller horizontally Ctrl + Alt + w
Resize smaller vertically Ctrl + Alt + q
Rotate clockwise by 15° Alt + Right arrow
Rotate counterclockwise by 15° Alt + Left arrow
Rotate counterclockwise by 1° Alt + Shift + Left arrow
Rotate clockwise by 1° Alt + Shift + Right arrow
Close drawing editor Shift + Esc
Comments and footnotes
Insert comment Ctrl + Alt + m
Open discussion thread Ctrl + Alt + Shift + a
Enter current comment Ctrl + Enter
Insert footnote Ctrl + Alt + f
Move to current footnote holding Ctrl + Alt, press e then f
Move to next footnote holding Ctrl + Alt, press n then f
Move to previous footnote holding Ctrl + Alt, press p then f