moderated Re: Google docs navigation

Pramit

Hi Anna,

If the ESC does't work then try one thing as the focus might have moved back to cells rather than Menu.
Press ALT + /  now once the focus goes back to the menu press ESC.

Pramit

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 10:13 PM Anna Givens <annajee82@...> wrote:
Pressing escape does not get me out of the menu

On Mar 24, 2020, at 2:04 AM, Edward Green <ergreen1981@...> wrote:

Hi Anna,

Pressing escape will return you to the document area.

Cheers,

Ed

On 24 Mar 2020, at 05:20, Anna Givens <annajee82@...> wrote:

Thank you!!

And maybe this was in there, but didn’t see it.
When I am in the menu and want to get back to the document area to type, how do I do that. I  was told that if I select something in the menu then it automatically goes to document area. But what if I accidentally get into the menu and just need to get back to the document area?

Anna

On Mar 23, 2020, at 9:33 PM, Pramit <PRAMIT.VISION@...> wrote:

Hi Anna,

Adding shortcuts below to navigate, format, and edit through the Google docs.

To open a list of keyboard shortcuts in Google Docs, press Ctrl + /

To search the menus, press Alt + /

Step 1: Turn on Docs screen reader support
The first time you use the Docs editors with a screen reader, you need to turn on Docs screen reader support:
1. Go to Google Docs and open a document.
2. In the Tools menu, select Accessibility settings.
3. Select Turn on screen reader support.
Optional: In your Google Account, visit Accessibility settings, then turn on Screen reader.

Below are the keyboard shortcuts that you can use:

Screen reader support
Enable screen reader support Ctrl + Alt + z
Alt + Shift + ~
Speak selection Ctrl + Alt + x
Speak from cursor location Ctrl + Alt + r
Announce cursor location holding Ctrl + Alt, press a then l
Announce formatting at cursor location holding Ctrl + Alt, press a then f
Speak the table column and row header holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then h
Speak the table cell location holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then n
Speak the table row header holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then r
Speak the table column header holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then c
Show live edits Ctrl + Alt + Shift + r

Navigation shortcuts
Two groups of shortcuts below help you move quickly through your document or table:
a. Move to the next or previous item with Ctrl + Alt + n or Ctrl + Alt + p followed by another key.
b. Move quickly around a table with Ctrl + Alt + Shift + t followed by another key.

Document navigation
Show document outline holding Ctrl + Alt, press a then h
Move to next heading holding Ctrl + Alt, press n then h
Move to previous heading holding Ctrl + Alt, press p then h
Move to next heading [1-6] holding Ctrl + Alt, press n then [1-6]
Move to previous heading [1-6] holding Ctrl + Alt, press p then [1-6]
Move to next graphic holding Ctrl + Alt, press n then g
(image or drawing)
Move to previous graphic holding Ctrl + Alt, press p then g
(image or drawing)
Move to next list holding Ctrl + Alt, press n then o
Move to previous list holding Ctrl + Alt, press p then o
Move to next item in the current list holding Ctrl + Alt, press n then i
Move to previous item in the current list holding Ctrl + Alt, press p then i
Move to next link holding Ctrl + Alt, press n then l
Move to previous link holding Ctrl + Alt, press p then l
Move to next bookmark holding Ctrl + Alt, press n then b
Move to previous bookmark holding Ctrl + Alt, press p then b
Move to next formatting change holding Ctrl + Alt, press n then w
Move to previous formatting change holding Ctrl + Alt, press p then w
Move to next edit holding Ctrl + Alt, press n then r
(while viewing revision history or new changes) Ctrl + Alt + k
Move to previous edit holding Ctrl + Alt, press p then r
(while viewing revision history or new changes) Ctrl + Alt + j
Table navigation
Move to the start of the table holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then s
Move to the end of the table holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then d
Move to the start of the table column holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then i
Move to the end of the table column holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then k
Move to the next table column holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then b
Move to the previous table column holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then v
Move to the start of the table row holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then j
Move to the end of the table row holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then l
Move to the next table row holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then m
Move to the previous table row holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then g
Exit table holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press t then e
Move to the next table holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press n then t
Move to the previous table holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift, press p then t
Other tools and navigation
Open revision history Ctrl + Alt + Shift + h
Open Explore tool Ctrl + Alt + Shift + i
Open spelling/grammar Ctrl + Alt + X
Open dictionary Ctrl + Shift + y
Word count Ctrl + Shift + c
Start voice typing Ctrl + Shift + s
(available in Chrome browsers)
Go to side panel Ctrl + Alt + .
Ctrl + Alt + ,
Page up Page Up
Page down Page Down
Move to next misspelling Ctrl + '
Move to previous misspelling Ctrl + ;
Insert or move to header holding Ctrl + Alt, press o then h
Insert or move to footer holding Ctrl + Alt, press o then f
Move focus to popup holding Ctrl + Alt, press e then p
(for links, bookmarks, and images)
Open chat inside the document Shift + Esc
Move focus out of editing area Ctrl + Alt + Shift + m

Link to Edit documents with JAWS below:
https://support.google.com/docs/answer/1632201

Hope this helps

Pramit

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 5:33 AM Anna Givens <annajee82@...> wrote:
Never used google docs on the computer before.
I am using windows 10 with jaws (I think 2017) on my laptop, and in google chrome. When google docs is open in chrome, how do I go to a blank new document?

Or how do I navigate from main page?
Like google docs was open in chrome and I pushed ctr plus Homero go to beginning of page and it did not say anything, then I pushed “h” for heading and it said nothing, then pushed tab and it said nothing then pushed down arrow and it said nothing. I got it to go to recent documents by pushing I think it was down arrow multiple times and it finally said something but I had to end up going to a recent document, opening it and going to file menu to open a new one.

Anna