moderated Re: Stopping Google Chrome suggestions

Richard <thegothot@...>

I thank Mike B for writing the first set of steps.

Stop Google Chrome from Storing Browser History - Turn Off Search
Suggestions on Google Chrome

There doesn't appear to be any way to do this from within the browser,
so following the steps below should get the job done:
NOTE:
The following message may be encountered after using these steps, and
although annoying, causes no harm, and can be ignored.

Alert!
Something went wrong when opening your profile. Some features may be
unavailable.
Send feedback to help us fix this issue.
Profile error occurred dialog
OK Button

1. Open Chrome and press, Control + H, to open Chrome history.

2. Tab to, Clear browsing data link, and press enter.

3. Tab to the, Time range combo box open the combo box, choose the, All
time, option and close the combo box.

4. Tab to these other checkboxes to select what you want deleted
permanently. They are as follows:
Browsing history Clears history and autocompletions in the address bar.

Cookies and other site data Signs you out of most sites.

Cached images and files Frees up X.X MB. Some sites may load more slowly on
your next visit.

5. Tab to, Clear data button, and press the spacebar or enter to remove the
selected data. Now close Chrome and do the following.

1. Make sure that hidden files and folders are set to show.

2. Use the following path to find the file you need to change, replacing
"your Name", with the name of your user folder
C:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

3. Press the letter H until you come to "History",
then open the properties, and tab to "read only", and check the box.

4. tab to okay, and press the spacebar.
Alt F4 to close all windows, you are done.

Note:
Changing the file properties to read only prevents Chrome from writing to
it, which in turn prevents it from showing suggestions while typing in the
address bar.
Since this is a file specific to Google Chrome, the properties of this file
may change when the browser is updated.

HTH,
Rick