moderated Re: Outlook and JAWS

As I said, it would be good to know what your provider is and what protocol you use for your mail. I sure hope it’s IMAP and not POP3.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Longmore
Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2020 2:40 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Outlook and JAWS

How true your words yet  The action occurred while replying to an open message.  Sorry, no mistake here.  Outlook and JAWS do not always mix well.  I realize JAWS did not delete the e-mail but I stand behind my comments that so often companies want to promote the new the tried and true interactions get buggy.  I have worked with software for over 25 years  and I know that the weird, , unexplainable can happen. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Friday, March 13, 2020 10:50 PM
Subject: Re: Outlook and JAWS

Dan,

I understand your frustration, but it’s crucial to diagnose the problem correctly. JAWS cannot delete emails. What can happen, I suspect, is that sometimes when we make a mistake, JAWS doesn’t alert us in time for us to stop the harm. One evening last summer when I was really tired and distracted, I accidentally deleted 142 crucial messages. I tried every trick in the book to retrieve them, including some clever tips I found through Google. However, I know what I did wrong. Instead of using Outlook’s control-shift-v to move those messages elsewhere, a command I’ve used every day for years, I used control-x,  the traditional cut command used in conjunction with the control-c copy command. Somehow that keystroke, perhaps in combination with another keystroke right after, led to untraceable, permanent deletion.

I’m guessing a person with sight with see the consequences of such mistakes on the screen and be able to fix them. For instance, had I known the mistake I’d made, I would have immediately typed control-z to undo my last action. But by the time I realized what had happened, I was a step or two beyond any help the undo command could give me.

Unfortunately, mistakes aren’t always immediately obvious to those of us who must rely on our other senses. JAWS requires that we be seriously attentive.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Longmore
Sent: Friday, March 13, 2020 7:49 PM
Subject: Outlook and JAWS

Hi,

JAWS 2020 seems to have ongoing issues with Outlook.  Today I forwarded a message in Outlook and somehow JAWS managed to delete several e-mails.  The mail is gone from Outlook, Web Mail and is not in my trash or other folders.  I am using JAWS 2020, Outlook 365 , and Windows 10 home latest version.  Outlook behaves properly with sighted person and yet gets a bit sluggish with JAWS.  This latest bug reminds me again of how much I appreciate Narrator.  I truly believe JAWS has become so interested in new features that they are failing to catch bugs that are cropping up in programs that are critical to so many.

Dan   

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.