moderated Re: Outlook and JAWS

Richard Turner

Also, aside from the fact that Jaws doesn't delete emails, there is a setting in Outlook to empty the trash/deleted folder upon exit; something I used to have checked, until I wanted to find an email I had deleted.
I now leave that unchecked so I have to manually remove them from the trash.
That is, of course, unless I use a command that causes immediate, permanent deletion, which I think is control-d.
I've used Jaws 2020 with Windows 10 and office 365 since Jaws 2020 came out and have never experienced any issues"

Richard
"There's a nap for that."

On Mar 13, 2020, at 7:50 PM, Adrian Spratt <adrian@...> wrote:

Dan,

I understand your frustration, but it’s crucial to diagnose the problem correctly. JAWS cannot delete emails. What can happen, I suspect, is that sometimes when we make a mistake, JAWS doesn’t alert us in time for us to stop the harm. One evening last summer when I was really tired and distracted, I accidentally deleted 142 crucial messages. I tried every trick in the book to retrieve them, including some clever tips I found through Google. However, I know what I did wrong. Instead of using Outlook’s control-shift-v to move those messages elsewhere, a command I’ve used every day for years, I used control-x,  the traditional cut command used in conjunction with the control-c copy command. Somehow that keystroke, perhaps in combination with another keystroke right after, led to untraceable, permanent deletion.

I’m guessing a person with sight with see the consequences of such mistakes on the screen and be able to fix them. For instance, had I known the mistake I’d made, I would have immediately typed control-z to undo my last action. But by the time I realized what had happened, I was a step or two beyond any help the undo command could give me.

Unfortunately, mistakes aren’t always immediately obvious to those of us who must rely on our other senses. JAWS requires that we be seriously attentive.