moderated Re: Finding the ip addresss of a computer?

Arkadiusz Świętnicki

Generic instruction is below. Since I did not get the information I have requested I cannot give more detailed info:

1. First of all, you need to get the local IP address of your machine. Thic can be achieved in some ways, but this has already been covered by others.
  2. With that information in hand, login to your router from your computer. The default gateway should be: 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. However if your network settings are different, you might need to get the gateway information. To get it, enter the cmd and type: ipconfig | findstr Gateway. This command will first invoke the ipconfig, and then redirect its output to findstr, which in turn will give back your gateway.
  3. Copy it with your favorite way and enter the router with that information
  4. Login to the router: the default data is admin for username and admin for the password, but ISPs tend to change these more and more often, so you might refer to your ISP for details.
  5. Find an option regarding forwarding ports, or DMS. Keep in mind, that by enabling DMZ you expose yourself to even more risk than you do normally.
  6. If you go for the port forwarding, you need to forward port 3389, both TCP and UDP, since this is the port RDP operates on.
  7. If prompted, enter your local machine’s IP address.
  8. If you go for the DMZ route, just enable the thing and enter your local machine address. Again: not recommended.

HTH.

Pozdrawiam,

Arkadiusz Świętnicki AKA. Nuno

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jessica D
Sent: Saturday, March 7, 2020 5:51 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Finding the ip addresss of a computer?

Hi,

In case anyone is curious, the remote desktop app is 99% accessible. 

There are 2 buttons, that aren't technically labealed, ,  but voiceover provides hints for what they are. 

Thanks, Jessica

On Mar 6, 2020, at 11:47 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 10:24 PM, Rick Mladek wrote:

Worry not about what she is doing or attempting to do. Worry not why she is attempting to do this.

If you don't know "what she is attempting to do" or "why she is attempting to do it" then giving step-by-step instructions is impossible.  Hence my much earlier request.  There are also many instances where someone has really not given adequate thought to what they're trying to do out of ignorance of other options.

Using a third party tool would be much easier, and more secure, than attempting to use remote desktop as is being proposed.  I thought even JAWS Tandem had a setting that allows remote connection unattended, but am absolutely not certain about that.  There are a number of utilities that do allow remote connections unattended at one end.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Tolerance is the positive and cordial effort to understand another's beliefs, practices, and habits without necessarily sharing or accepting them.

~ Joshua Liebman

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.