From: David Griffith
Sent: Friday, March 06, 2020 3:42 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: unload and reload Jaws?

Personally as a feature request I would prefer that Jaws has the same behaviour as NVDA. That is, with NVDA running pressing control alt and N will close and restart NVDA in one operation without any further intervention. Jaws should do the same thing with control alt J.

This NVDA feature is very useful if for any reason NVDA has stalled or speech has been lost. It clears up these problems quickly and nicely as NVDA instantly restarts itself with this forced restart.

In contrast if Jaws stalls you have to first of all try and shut it down and then try to re-load it. The exception to this is if Jaws itself recognises that it has crashed in which case it will sometimes restart itself without any intervention from the user. The drawback it that it normally takes quite a time to come to this conclusion.

Shutting down Jaws within one session in these circumstances is also not always straightforward. Occasionally I have ended up with multiple Jaws icons on my system tray as previous version have clearly failed to completely unload, even though only one instance of Jaws is talking.

A computer restart is normally required to remove these multiple ghost instances of Jaws.

I would much prefer NVDA’s one shortcut approach which in my experience never results in multiple versions of NVDA trying to run in the background.

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10