Re: [Bulk] Microsoft Outlook 2010 crashing issue

epierce@...

re: Crazy names for software

Short answer:

Microsoft Office 2010 = Office "14", and Office "15" will come out later in 2012. It might be called Office 2012 or 2013.

Long answer:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/windows-8-analysis-one-thing-right-and-two-things-wrong/49909?tag=btxcsim

excerpt:

"Microsoft has always been afraid to offend any of its potential customers, so it typically piles tons of features on top of the existing codebase and ends up with a Frankenstein monster like Microsoft Office."

---end excerpt---

Office 15 might be called Office 2012 if it is released as part of a bundle with Microsoft Windows 8 on "ARM" tablets/smartphones. Otherwise, it might be Office 2013.

Sidenote: ARM refers to 32 bit RISC (simplified) processor chips that consume low power, and are used in smartphones, tablets, etc. (they compete with Intel). Win8 will include the new "Metro" GUI (primarily designed for Tablets/Smartphones), but can also run a Win7 style GUI.

Here is a blog post from a well known computer industry journalist on the topic of Windows 8/ARM and Office 2015:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/getting-touchy-with-office-15-surface-20-and-windows-8/11840

Please note that the "Office 15" that will be released on Windows 8/ARM will not include Outlook. (!)

Some computer industry "experts" have already predicted that they do not think that Microsoft will "do Windows 8 right" (on tablets/smartphones), and that as such, it is the beginning of a slow end for Microsoft's business (monopoly) as we know it. To me, "Metro" looks, superficially, really stupid. (As such, it probably reflects how MS executives think of their customers.) Its like the "Ribbon" on steroids.

As consumers move to alternate products such as iPad and Android, developers will no longer be dependent on the Microsoft "ecosystem". Eventually most of Microsoft's "cash cow" business will go away in the consumer area, leaving only "enterprise" infrastructure software, such as servers. Microsoft is attempting to make a big move into "cloud computing" also.

Microsoft Office will be one of the main battlegrounds in the upcoming industry wars. Microsoft's strengths and weaknesses will be revealed and become critical.

High geek culture at MS became repulsive posturing when Bill Gates departed?

In my opinion, all of the bad karma and creepiness associated with Microsoft's bad business practices (and junk architecture) for 20+ years will probably come back to bite them in the posterior. Finally. At best, Microsoft might eventually evolve into something like IBM: a formerly dominant company that re-focused on core competency in the enterprise. The difference is that IBM always had high quality (elite market), and Microsoft has always been about mediocrity (mass market). So, perhaps Microsoft will become another Novell.

Also see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office

excerpt:

Microsoft Office 15 is reportedly in Build 15.0.2703.1000 (version 15), and has reached Milestone 2. It sports a revamped application interface; the interface is based on Metro Design Language, the interface of Windows Media Center and Windows Phone. Microsoft Outlook has received the most pronounced changes so far; for example, the Metro interface enables users to have access to a new visualization for scheduled tasks. PowerPoint will include more templates and transition effects, and OneNote a new splash screen.[24] On May 16, 2011, new images of Office 15 were revealed, showing Excel with a tool for filtering data in a timeline, the ability to convert Roman numerals to Arabic numerals, and the integration of advanced trigonometric functions. In Word, the capability of inserting video and audio online as well as the broadcasting of documents on the Web were implemented. Microsoft has promised support for Open Office XML Strict starting with version 15, a format Microsoft ha
s!
submitted to the ISO for interoperability with other office suites, and to aid adoption in the public sector.