moderated Re: Braille Printers suggestion

Brian Buhrow

hello. The Index Braille Basic also has a network connection, so
you don't actually need a parallel or Serial to USB adapter if you have an
ethernet jack on your home network that is available. If you don't have
such a jack available, I suggest the Prolyphic USB to Serial adapter to
attach to the serial port of the printer. The Prolyphic adapters work with
Mac, Windows, Linux and other OS's, as well as having drivers that are
easily installed, if they're not already available when you plug it in.

Hope that helps.
-Brian

On Mar 5, 4:43pm, "Chris Hill" wrote:
} Subject: Re: Braille Printers suggestion
} --------------0AE75FDA6C5D1787F2A0EE3B
}
} The cool thing about braille printing is that drivers aren't really
} necessary.  Set it up as text only and print to it with the right
} software and you're good to go.  The hardest thing is finding a usb to
} parallel or serial adapter that is something more than complete junk.
} If you ever run onto an index basic, it might be worth your
} consideration.  I bought a used one, and I'm pretty happy with it.
}
}
}
}
} On 3/5/2020 16:07, Andrew J. LaPointe wrote:
} >
} >                 Hello, I want to find a used Braille Printer within
} > reasonable price.   I would prefer interpoint but, not absolutely
} > necessary.  Of course, a new printer would be nice, the cost is not.
} > Does anyone have a suggestion on a BRL printer tht won’t fall apart
} > before my eyes?
} >
} > I know where I can borrow one but, it is about 12-15 years old and is
} > either parallel or seriel port. I am looking around for a converter
} > cable to USB and it is not recommended.  Not even sure if I can find
} > the drivers.  Thanks for any help here.  Andy and Shubert
} >
} > Andrew J. LaPointe, President
} >
} > Friends of the Salem Council on Aging
} >
} > 34 Raymond Ave.
} >
} > Salem, MA. 01970
} >
} > Home: 978-745-4289 cell: 978-578-0185
} >
} > Editor, Commission Commuter Update and the Safe Disabled Traveler Notebook
} >
} > Talking Information Center
} >
} >
}
}
}
}
} --------------0AE75FDA6C5D1787F2A0EE3B
}
} <html>
} <head>
} <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
} charset=windows-1252">
} </head>
} <body>
} <p>The cool thing about braille printing is that drivers aren't
} really necessary.  Set it up as text only and print to it with the
} right software and you're good to go.  The hardest thing is
} finding a usb to parallel or serial adapter that is something more
} than complete junk.  If you ever run onto an index basic, it might
} be worth your consideration.  I bought a used one, and I'm pretty
} happy with it.</p>
} <p><br>
} </p>
} <p><br>
} </p>
} <p><br>
} </p>
} <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 3/5/2020 16:07, Andrew J. LaPointe
} wrote:<br>
} </div>
} <blockquote type="cite"
} cite="mid:073801d5f33a$7cd738f0$7685aad0$@comcast.net">
} <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered
} medium)">
} <div class="WordSection1">
} <p class="MsoNormal">                Hello, I want to find a
} used Braille Printer within reasonable price.   I would prefer
} interpoint but, not absolutely necessary.  Of course, a new
} printer would be nice, the cost is not.  Does anyone have a
} suggestion on a BRL printer tht won’t fall apart before my
} eyes?</p>
} <p class="MsoNormal">I know where I can borrow one but, it is
} about 12-15 years old and is either parallel or seriel port.
} I am looking around for a converter cable to USB and it is not
} recommended.  Not even sure if I can find the drivers.  Thanks
} for any help here.  Andy and Shubert</p>
} <p class="MsoNormal"> </p>
} <p class="MsoNormal">Andrew J. LaPointe, President</p>
} <p class="MsoNormal">Friends of the Salem Council on Aging</p>
} <p class="MsoNormal">34 Raymond Ave.</p>
} <p class="MsoNormal">Salem, MA. 01970</p>
} <p class="MsoNormal">Home: 978-745-4289 cell: 978-578-0185</p>
} <p class="MsoNormal"> </p>
} <p class="MsoNormal">Editor, Commission Commuter Update and the
} Safe Disabled Traveler Notebook</p>
} <p class="MsoNormal">Talking Information Center</p>
} <p class="MsoNormal"> </p>
} </div>
}
} </blockquote>
} </body>
} </html>
}
} <div width="1" style="color:white;clear:both"></div>
}
}
} --------------0AE75FDA6C5D1787F2A0EE3B--
-- End of excerpt from "Chris Hill"