moderated Re: Unable to activate button menu-paypal.com

Norma A. Boge

Hi Adrian and all on this thread,

Using J2020, landing on the problem button, Jaws says:

“Actions Remind Button button menu‑ collapsed‑ menu”

So, when I activated the button, I was actually hitting the remind button instead of opening the menu.

Using J2019, Jaws correctly reads the remind and menu buttons as 2 separate, one below the other. Why J2020 didn’t see this, I don’t know. But I definitely need to somehow adjust J2020 so this mistake does not happen again.

I will take the remainder of my problem directly to Paypal because although I am hitting enter on the cancel button, I’m not getting the confirm dialogue so something is still hinky.

With J2020 I’ve experienced Jaws mistakenly reading as outlined above, but the confusion didn’t create such a major problem until now.  If anyone has a fix for this in particular, please let me know.

Someone on the list once said that running the most current version of Jaws gives one the best accessibility. I disagree. And I think a number of others on this list would, as well.

Thanks again everyone,

Norma

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Tuesday, March 3, 2020 11:18 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Unable to activate button menu-paypal.com

Norma,

To add to the suggestions in the thread below, you might try any of the following:

Maximize the webpage and then press JAWS key+escape to “repaint” it.

Unload and reload JAWS.

Unload JAWS 2020 and, if you have one on your system, try an earlier version. I recently noticed that JAWS 18 can accomplish some tasks that JAWS 2020 won’t.

If you haven’t already, reboot your system and start over.

For the record, I haven’t recently had accessibility problems with PayPal, but I may not have needed to execute this particular command.

PayPal has, or used to have, a recognize accessible technology expert on staff. If you can’t resolve this problem, I’m guessing they’d be receptive to working with you, especially with cancelling this transaction.

I’m sorry you’re experiencing such frustration. It’s awful when you reach the button you need and it won’t work.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Wednesday, March 4, 2020 12:03 AM

Hi Norma,

Have you tried the space bar on the button?

Also, did you do insert + F5 and down arrow to the desired button?

Another thing to try is to get to the button and do insert + #3 (above the E key) which is enter key to pass through

and then try enter and/or space bar.

HTH.

Glenn

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2020 5:45 PM

Just tried it, seems to do nothing. Thanks none the less, Norma

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jason White via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, March 3, 2020 5:06 PM

Have you tried a simulated left mouse click?

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Norma A. Boge
Sent: Tuesday, March 3, 2020 5:53 PM
Subject: Unable to activate button menu-paypal.com

Hey group,

I’m using Jaws 2020 and I’ve tried to activate a menu button on Paypal. Specifically, it’s in Invoice Activity. I’ve tried with Edge, Firefox 72.0.1  and Chrome 80.0.3987.122. Here’s the speech history:

Column 10
Actions
Remind
Button‑ 
button menu‑ collapsed‑
Column 11

I’ve tried PC, Jaws and Touch cursors and from the list of buttons. It doesn’t open a menu, it just takes me to the detail page of the selected invoice. (No go with NVDA, either, for what it’s worth.)

I need to cancel the invoice, and I read that option is in this menu I can’t get to open.

Ideas will be most welcome.

Thanks,

Norma

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.