moderated Re: How to get the URL of a streaming radio?

David Griffith

I don’t own a Stratus but my understanding is that this is an older generation device which does not have device access to the O Tunes database of Radio and Podcast online directories.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

If on the other hand the Stratus can access the online O-Tunes database then the instructions should work. This capability of the VR device to connect directly to O Tunes is the critical capability – you don’t need to involve the Humanware  companion  at all as you are in effect smuggling streams out of the O-tunes online database via the Stream or trek exporting the stream information. You just copy the stream URL once you have opened the exported file in Notepad.

To keep this vaguely on topic the Tapin Radio app is designed with screen reader support in mind and will detect if you are running either Jaws or NVDA. I personally thought that such attention to screen reader access should be rewarded and decided to purchase after the trial period to encourage further commitment to accessibility.

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 03 March 2020 03:01
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: How to get the URL of a streaming radio?

Hello,

I tried the first suggestion. Tapin is installed but for a 14 day free trial.

I found 4 Toronto stations and only 1 worked. These I added to my favourites so I can retry them later. Maybe the ones that don’t work are temporarily unavailable.

The properties for the one that worked did contain the URL and this is now in a m3u file. WinAmp can play it.

I noticed that Tapin has a way to report a station that doesn’t work. Maybe the free trial status would prevent my reporting from going through.

The other suggestion was to use Human Ware. I don’t have the Victor Reader Stream, I have the Stratus.

In case it would work, I installed the Companion for the Stream.

I had the Stratus SD card inserted and the USB drive was recognized.

However I couldn’t find a way to get radio stations. The Online Books menu has only 1 item: Online Book Share.

In the Tools menu there is:

Internet Radio Playlist Creator

asking for a playlist and channel names and URL. This successfully exported.

As I said, I couldn’t find a way to get the Companion to list radio stations.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Peter T.

On 3/2/2020 1:58 PM, David Griffith wrote:

This is easy.

On the victor Reader device go into the online settings menu and export  your Internet Radio playlists to file.

This will create a playlist file on your SD card which you can then use on a PC.

This file will incidentally will play just as it is with VLC with N and P shortcut keypresses navigating between next and previous stations in the playlist.

However if you want the individual stream URL addresses you need to open this file with Notepad – it should be fairly easy then to navigate down and find both the Station you are interested in and the Stream URL relating to that stream.

Copy the  stream URL out of this file to create an m3u file etc.

This works fine in the vast majority of cases.

Very occasionally this will not work for geographically restricted streams like the UK 5 Live Sports Extra. I don’t know why this is the case. However as an workaround you could do one of the following in case of this difficult type of stream.

1. As I say the whole playlist file will play in VLC and you can navigate  to the required  station like 5 live sports extra and simply play it from there.
  2. Alternatively create a special  1 station favourites list on your Stream and save just the difficult station  into your Favourites and export this to your PC.
  3. Of course before doing this you will need to save your existing Favourites to SD card, then rename this favourites playlist to something like say Old Favourites and you can then re-import this playlist into your Stream as a new playlist, leaving an existing empty Favourites playlist for you to add stations to.
  4. In this way you can create as many radio playlists as you like on the Stream/Trek by constantly exporting the Favourites playlist and renaming it before re-importing it back to the Stream under the new name.

David Griffith

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of james hooper
Sent: 02 March 2020 16:04

Kind of an offshoot if say one has a stream on their vic and they want the urhl how can  this be accomplished.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Griffith
Sent: Monday, March 02, 2020 8:53 AM

There are several methods of varying complexity including  looking at Page source code but before trying any of that I would suggest installing Tapin Radio on your PC.

Just using Tapin might meet your needs but you can also use it to get station URLs.

1. Search for the station you require in Tapin.
  2. Test that the station works by starting it playing. Once you know it actually works tab to the stop button and then back to the station name.
  3. Bring up the context menu with the application key and select properties. Jaws should start reading out the properties  automatically but in the event it does not you can then use jaws plus B  to force a read of the dialogue.
  4. Use jaws plus space followed by H to bring up speech history.
  5. Reviewing the speech history you can then find a line which says stream URL and from this line you can copy and paste this URL to create a m3u file or whatever you want to do with it.

Note the Plextalk is getting long in the tooth now and does not support all modern streams. So you might well find a stream which works in Tapin WinAmp or more likely VLC but not on the Plextalk. WinAmp supports most streams also but not as much, in my experience, as a more recent version of VLC does.

David Griffith

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.