From: Peter Tesar
Sent: 03 March 2020 03:01
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: How to get the URL of a streaming radio?

Hello,

I tried the first suggestion. Tapin is installed but for a 14 day free trial.

I found 4 Toronto stations and only 1 worked. These I added to my favourites so I can retry them later. Maybe the ones that don’t work are temporarily unavailable.

The properties for the one that worked did contain the URL and this is now in a m3u file. WinAmp can play it.

I noticed that Tapin has a way to report a station that doesn’t work. Maybe the free trial status would prevent my reporting from going through.

The other suggestion was to use Human Ware. I don’t have the Victor Reader Stream, I have the Stratus.

In case it would work, I installed the Companion for the Stream.

I had the Stratus SD card inserted and the USB drive was recognized.

However I couldn’t find a way to get radio stations. The Online Books menu has only 1 item: Online Book Share.

In the Tools menu there is:

   Internet Radio Playlist Creator

asking for a playlist and channel names and URL. This successfully exported.

As I said, I couldn’t find a way to get the Companion to list radio stations.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Peter T.

On 3/2/2020 1:58 PM, David Griffith wrote:

This is easy.

On the victor Reader device go into the online settings menu and export  your Internet Radio playlists to file.

This will create a playlist file on your SD card which you can then use on a PC.

This file will incidentally will play just as it is with VLC with N and P shortcut keypresses navigating between next and previous stations in the playlist.

However if you want the individual stream URL addresses you need to open this file with Notepad – it should be fairly easy then to navigate down and find both the Station you are interested in and the Stream URL relating to that stream.

Copy the  stream URL out of this file to create an m3u file etc.

This works fine in the vast majority of cases.

Very occasionally this will not work for geographically restricted streams like the UK 5 Live Sports Extra. I don’t know why this is the case. However as an workaround you could do one of the following in case of this difficult type of stream.

  1. As I say the whole playlist file will play in VLC and you can navigate  to the required  station like 5 live sports extra and simply play it from there.
  2. Alternatively create a special  1 station favourites list on your Stream and save just the difficult station  into your Favourites and export this to your PC.
  3. Of course before doing this you will need to save your existing Favourites to SD card, then rename this favourites playlist to something like say Old Favourites and you can then re-import this playlist into your Stream as a new playlist, leaving an existing empty Favourites playlist for you to add stations to.
  4. In this way you can create as many radio playlists as you like on the Stream/Trek by constantly exporting the Favourites playlist and renaming it before re-importing it back to the Stream under the new name.

David Griffith