moderated Re: How to get the URL of a streaming radio?

David Griffith

This is easy.

On the victor Reader device go into the online settings menu and export  your Internet Radio playlists to file.

This will create a playlist file on your SD card which you can then use on a PC.

This file will incidentally will play just as it is with VLC with N and P shortcut keypresses navigating between next and previous stations in the playlist.

However if you want the individual stream URL addresses you need to open this file with Notepad – it should be fairly easy then to navigate down and find both the Station you are interested in and the Stream URL relating to that stream.

Copy the  stream URL out of this file to create an m3u file etc.

This works fine in the vast majority of cases.

Very occasionally this will not work for geographically restricted streams like the UK 5 Live Sports Extra. I don’t know why this is the case. However as an workaround you could do one of the following in case of this difficult type of stream.

  1. As I say the whole playlist file will play in VLC and you can navigate  to the required  station like 5 live sports extra and simply play it from there.
  2. Alternatively create a special  1 station favourites list on your Stream and save just the difficult station  into your Favourites and export this to your PC.
  3. Of course before doing this you will need to save your existing Favourites to SD card, then rename this favourites playlist to something like say Old Favourites and you can then re-import this playlist into your Stream as a new playlist, leaving an existing empty Favourites playlist for you to add stations to.
  4. In this way you can create as many radio playlists as you like on the Stream/Trek by constantly exporting the Favourites playlist and renaming it before re-importing it back to the Stream under the new name.

David Griffith