moderated Re: Microsoft Excel And Filters

Marty Hutchings

I tried to use filters yesterday, and had a hard time figuring out how to get back to the original state of my worksheet.  Thanks Steve for the Ctrl + Shift + L command.

Love in Christ
Marty
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.
Ephesians 6:12, 13

Sent: Friday, February 28, 2020 4:03 AM
Subject: Re: Microsoft Excel And Filters

I use Ctrl + Shift + L to toggle filters on and off - although JAWS doesn't report the change.

Once I've pressed Alt + DownArrow on a filter, I press E to jump to the edit box, DownArrow once to Select All, then End to go to the last item in the list, which is usually blanks?

I'm using Excel 2016 and JAWS 2020.

Thanks,

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io
Sent: 27 February 2020 20:39
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Yes.  You’ll want to leave the Select All option checked and arrow down to the last in the list below it, which is “(blanks)” and uncheck that.  Wish there was a quicker way to get to it, but arrowing down is the only way I’ve found.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2020 12:30 PM

Thanks so much, that is fantastic!

What I have is a colum going down, I just want to filter that colum so the blank cells are filtered out and the column only lists the cells where the entry is not blank e.g. contains a number.

I Think that it is the alt+down arrow that I could have been missing.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io
Sent: 27 February 2020 17:36

I use filters a lot.

Go to a cell in your header row, then hit the Filter button on the Data ribbon to turn on filters for that entire row of headers.

When you want to filter a particular column, go do that column header and hit alt down arrow to expand the filter choices.

I’m usually filtering on txt in the cells.  The easiest way I find to do this is to Shift tab back three times till I hear Select all.  You’ll be passing over a cancel button and an OK button. 

Then you arrow down the list of options, checking an unchecking the boxes you want to see or hide.  Annoyingly I cannot find a way to page down or use first letter navigation to quickly move through a long list. 

If you know you want to see most of the rows, but hide just a few, leave the Select All option at the top check and arrow down to find the few options you want to filter out.

If you want to hide a majority of rows and only see certain items, then uncheck the Select All option at the top and move down to place a check in the text items you want.

Once you have that done, you just tab once to the OK  button and hit enter. .JAWS does not read this button clearly; it sounds something more like type the text you want OK. 

Happy to talk more if you have specific questions as you try it.  

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2020 3:14 AM
Subject: Microsoft Excel And Filters

Hi,

Has anyone managed to work out how to use filters with Microsoft excel and JAWS?

********************************************************************************************************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the
sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in relation to its contents. To do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland. NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and other accredited email services.

For more information and to find out how you can switch, https://portal.nhs.net/help/joiningnhsmail

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key, send an email to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

********************************************************************************************************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the
sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in relation to its contents. To do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland. NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and other accredited email services.

For more information and to find out how you can switch, https://portal.nhs.net/help/joiningnhsmail

A family of four are outside smiling

This email and any attachment to it are confidential. Unless you are the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, or disclose either the message or any information contained in the message.
If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this email and notify the sender immediately.
Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the sender only, unless otherwise stated.
All emails, incoming and outgoing, may be recorded by Guide Dogs and monitored for legitimate business purposes.
Guide Dogs exclude all liability for any loss or damage arising or resulting from the receipt, use or transmission of this email to the fullest extent permitted by law.

The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association
Tel: 0118 983 5555
Email: guidedogs@...
Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3YG.
A company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered in England and Wales (209617) and Scotland (SC038979).

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.