moderated Re: Alt F4 Frozen

John Covici

Get an account for Aira and they can look at your screen or even
teamviewer into your computer.

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 13:56:45 -0500,
Don Walls wrote:

I haven't tried the old keyboard - a bit afraid of disconnecting
the wrong bit! Yes, feeble, I know. The keyboard I'm using must
be at least 12 years old because I believe I had it with my
previous computer. I'm hoping I can grab a sighted friend
tomorrow to see what happens while the friend can see what's on
the screen.

I appreciate your information about keyboards and will keep it in
mind if I need to buy a new one.

Have a good day.

Don

-----Original Message----- From: Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2020 10:12 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Alt F4 Frozen

Hi Don,

So you are saying when you tried the old keyboard the letter L
was sticking, but Alt + F4 and other keyboard shortcuts with
function keys like Jaws Key + F12 for the time and so on worked?
If that is the case then you may simply need a new keyboard. How
old is the keyboard you are using and was it just what I call a
"cheap" mainstream wired keyboard like the ones you can buy for
$20 or was it a more expensive mechanical keyboard?
In my experience the cheap keyboards which often come with a
computer will only last a couple of years before they start to do
weird things and even the better Logitech wireless keyboards like
the MK510/540 or even more expensive MK710 (those "MK" models are
mouse/keyboard combos) have a limited life span.
At home I use a Logitech K780 which is quite nice, but at work I
have actually gone back to mostly high-end wired mechanical
keyboards, in this case I decided on the keyboards from the
company "Das Keyboard" and the model I have is the "Professional
4". They are made from aluminum with Cherry MX Blue switches and
a fantastic built quality, each keyboard also has 2 USB 3.0 ports
on the back, but they also are $220 Canadian, I think in the US
they go for around $150 or $160 and at least last Black Friday I
didn't even see them on sale. I only bought them less than a year
ago and I guess I'll see if they indeed will pay for themselves
by lasting 6 or more years because typically before I bought
Logitech wireless keyboards where I could probably buy 3 for the
price of one of these Das Keyboard models, but I would have to
replace them every 2 years or so.

Best regards,
Sieghard