moderated Re: Alt F4 Frozen

Rick Mladek

Don,

Is your keyboard wireless? If so, I am thinking it is time to change the batteries... give this a shout. This happens to me when this is the issue... some keys work and others here and there..

If you do have wireless and can move the usb receiver to a new port, that may also add to this problem.

Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Walls
Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2020 12:53 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Alt F4 Frozen

I'm using a desktop computer. Last night I could use JAWS key plus F12 to get time as usual. Now I've tried that plus other key combinations with the JAWS key and none of them works.

Don

Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2020 7:59 AM

I was asking because some keyboards have a switch or button which locks the function keys and yet others like the Logitech K780 require you to press also the FN key along with any other key combination, e.g. without Logitech Options software installed where you can tell the function keys to behave normally, you would have to press FN + Alt + F4.
Another question I would have is whether this is on a laptop or a desktop?
If it's on a laptop, does Alt + F4 work if you use the laptop's keyboard?
Lastly, are other function key shortcuts working, e.g. Jaws Key + F7 to pull up a list of links on a website or even just Jaws Key + F10 for a list of open applications or Jaws Key + F11 to speak the time?

Sent: Friday, February 21, 2020 11:07 PM

I'm not sure what model of keyboard I have. It has a number pad, if that's what you're asking.

Don

Sent: Friday, February 21, 2020 9:54 PM

What kind of keyboard do you have?

Sent: Friday, February 21, 2020 9:19 PM
Subject: Alt F4 Frozen

Yesterday a friend helped me fill in the province of British Columbia's speculation tax form online. He ran into a snag, so started again with a fresh format and we sent the completed form off. I could not close the first form but shut down the computer. I don't know if it's related, but since then I cannot close Word files or emails. I can open and read them and move them, but I can't close them. If I'm in my email list, I can use Alt tab to get out of an open email, then delete or move it, but the open email is still there. I assume that somehow I've frozen the Alt F4 function. My only resort is to shut down the computer. When I start it up again, emails I've deleted both from In and Deleted folders reappear. Any thoughts?

I'm using Windows 10 and JAWS 17, though I plan to purchase JAWS 2020 in a few weeks.

I'd appreciate any help.

Don

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.