moderated Re: GoToMeeting

Walker, Michael E

Hi David,

We have the ADA which states that companies are expected to use accessible IT, however, where I am, it seems that falls through the cracks. I am not sure if that is related to the undue hardship clauses in state and national laws. For my use case, screen sharing is all I would need. My company’s standards are WebEx and Skype for Business. Screen sharing on both of those is accessible enough for me to be able to show when I am logging into a terminal session over SSH with PuTTY, or anything else presented on my computer screen. The question would come down to if the vendor we are working with could change to using Skype for Business or WebEx from GoToMeeting.

Mike

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Griffith
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2020 11:24 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: GoToMeeting

I was doing some work with West Ham and they tried to use go To Meeting which was totally inaccessible.

In the end they just switched to using Team Viewer as an accessible form of screen sharing was what we wanted to do.

If an application is inaccessible resolving this is not always immediate.

The pressure and censure for inaccessibility should however never fall upon the disabled  user who is a victim of careless code which has been inaccessibly implemented without regard for inclusion.

In the UK at least in working with the Public Sector companies are expected to work to a higher standard than this – is this not still the case where you are?

David Griffith

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Walker, Michael E
Sent: 20 February 2020 16:51

In practice, how hard is it to get an employer to switch to something more accessible? I get answers a lot on mailing lists that just say use something else when something is inaccessible, but you have the problem of being in the minority if you are blind.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Mauck
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2020 10:49 AM

Absolutely agree with you. Zoom if your company will do it is by far the best. Beets WebEx as well.

Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2020 9:46 AM

my agency used to use Go To Meeting. But, they discovered that Zoom Meeting was about the same price and completely accessible on any operating system.

I'd encourage your boss to seriously consider Zoom Meeting.

All of the sighted employees like it better as well.

Richard

"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it." 

-- from The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe, by Jane Wagner

On Feb 20, 2020, at 8:39 AM, Milton Ota <mota1252@...> wrote:

Hi,

If the Administrator of the conference has enabled you to join the meeting via a regular phone or the app on an iDevice, your should be able to join the conference using the meeting ID.

Using the app on an iPhone is very accessible. You will be able to see who has join the meeting and if they want to all see you when you talk, you need to have your camera enabled and screen curtin turned off. You might also want to turn Do Not Disturbed Mode On.

HTH!

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Walker, Michael E
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2020 8:42 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: GoToMeeting

Hi,

I need to join an online meeting for work. It is hosted using GoToMeeting. GoToMeeting’s customer service said they do not have any information on using it with JAWS 2019. There was no information on GoToMeeting’s website either. Have you ever used it? How well does it work?

Thank you,

Mike

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.