moderated Re: Question regarding jaws SMA

Richard Turner

Unless I’m mistaken, and I probably am, the reason to stick with the SMA approach is that with the license approach, you cannot continue to use it after the subscription ends, where with the SMA, you can decide it works fine as is and not pay for any more SMA packages and continue using the last version as long as you like.

And, right now, I could buy an SMA for 2022 and 2023 since I am paid up through 2021, so I doubt they are getting rid of the SMA anytime soon.

But, who knows what lurks in the hearts and mind of Vespiro.

Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Saturday, February 15, 2020 8:44 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Question regarding jaws SMA

Well, then it’s only a $1.25 difference a month between SMA and annual subscription.

No reason I guess to continue paying $150 every 2 years if that is what you have been doing and Vispero is still doing it, but for anybody who is behind and wants to get back in with Jaws the $90 annual subscription is absolutely the way to go and I wouldn’t be surprised if at some point the annual subscription was the only way to get Jaws. This would illuminate the up-front cost of $1,000 or whatever Jaws costs in US Dollars and simplify things for Vispero.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Saturday, February 15, 2020 7:56 AM

I just checked on the price of a SMA and it is: $150 for 2 years.

So, $75 per year instead of the subscription of $90 if you are in the US.

So, $6.25 per month.

Not bad for the best screen reader on the market today, since Window-Eyes is dead.  Sorry, I had to get that dig in, grin.

I use Narrator as my backup first if Jaws gets locked up for some reason, and if that doesn’t work I use NVDA, which I have donated to since even with their open source approach there are costs to maintaining the distribution.

I was going to go on and on about purchasing priorities, but that’s enough.

auf wiedersehen,

Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com

Sent: Saturday, February 15, 2020 7:37 AM

If yo uchoose to subscribe to Jaw for $90 a year why do you then have an unexpected charge? I am sure you get a reminder that your annual subscription is due just as you do with Office 365 and other subscriptions.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Diamond
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2020 1:20 PM

Well, using that logic, you receive an email from JAWS every year reminding you that your SMA is expiring, or a unexpected charge on your credit card every year.  As apposed to one charge every 2 years that is cheaper in the long run. Of course if you don’t have to pay for it, the cost is irrelevant. Swing for the fences and you may hit a home run out of the park.    

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick Mladek
Sent: February 14, 2020 1:07 PM

What would be the better of the choices with not what is paid but what is received?

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Diamond
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2020 3:59 PM

I’m not sure so don’t quote me on this.  I think in the long run it is cheaper to buy 2 updates for JAWS, rather then paying $90 per year. I think the cost for 2 updates is $160.   

Sent: February 14, 2020 8:14 AM

That depends on how far behind you are.

If you are on Jaws 2019 and just didn’t have an SMA to upgrade to Jaws 2020 you should be able to buy a new SMA at whatever the price is and it will give you Jaws 2020 and Jaws 2021 this fall.

If you are still on Jaws 2018 you should be able to buy a new SMA and this would entitle you to upgrade to Jaws 2019 and Jaws 2020, of course there is no need to actually install Jaws 2019, you would go straight to Jaws 2020, but at that point your SMA is once again used up and if you want Jaws 2021 this fall you would need to buy another SMA either right away or at the latest by October.

If you are on anything prior to Jaws 2018 like Jaws 18 or even 17, you would have to immediately buy 2 SMA’s to even get Jaws 2020.

Alternatively, if you live in the US you can switch to the Jaws subscription model which is I believe $90 a year, this would entitle you to upgrade right away to Jaws 2020 no matter what version you are on, then you continue to pay $90 each year and this will always entitle you to install and use the latest update.

Having said all this I would highly recommend you speak to Vispero directly at 1-727-803-8600, let them look up your account via the Jaws serial number you have and ask what your options are.

They do also have a toll free number, but I don’t currently have it handy.

Best regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Blind Gamer
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2020 6:37 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Question regarding jaws SMA

Hi I have one question
If we didn't renew jaws sma then how much price for upgrade
Thanks

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.