moderated Ideas for handling color coded spreadsheets

Van Lant, Robin

Hi all,

Using JAWS 2019 with Office 365 and Windows 10.

I seem to be working with more people, including my new manager, who really like color coding in Excel.  I totally get it, as I can clearly understand how this visually makes looking at a large spreadsheet file easier, especially on calendar or schedule files.  The first project I had for my new manager was to take a color coded calendar she had from last summer and update it for this year, color coding each event based on whether I was able to secure the necessary room reservation.  My approach in this case was to hunt for color coded cells, and copy the color into a place off to the side, then clear all the colors and then paste the colors back in to new cells as I made the room reservations.  This is just an example.

Hear my question with the lens of someone who is losing more usable vision and adjusting to new leadership in my role.  I’m feeling a bit insecure about my abilities and am wondering if there are any tips from others who share spreadsheet files with sighted colleagues on managing colors and/or fancier layouts.  I’m intimidated by these large files my new manager is sending.  I’ve typically been the one creating the spreadsheet, so I could lay it out in my own way, but I’m taking on new job duties and inheriting files with lots of data that is just just a simple grid.

I guess I just need to hear of there are any tips or empathy out there.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager, Strategy & Performance Management

Key Equipment Finance | 720-304-1060 |  www.keyequipmentfinance.com

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114