moderated Re: picture smart

I don’t use Jaws 2019 any more so not sure if it has a Help Topic, but Jaws 2020 certainly does have a Help Topic for Picture Smart under the reference tools book.

Here is what that information is:

Picture Smart

Picture Smart allows you to choose a photo and submit it to be analyzed. A description of the image is then displayed in the JAWS Results Viewer window. Descriptions might include details such as the number of people in the photo, recognizable landmarks, landscape details such as "outdoors with a blue sky and green grass," if there are vehicles such as automobiles or trains, and more. If there is text in the picture, it will OCR the text and provide that as well.

To use Picture Smart, use the layered command INSERT+SPACEBAR followed by P. Once the Picture Smart layer is active, the following keystrokes are available:

  • A - Opens the Picture Smart dialog box where you can acquire an image from a flatbed scanner or the Freedom Scientific PEARL camera and submit it to be described.
  • F - Describes the currently selected image in File Explorer. Supported images include BMP, JPEG, GIF, TIF, or PNG.
  • C - Describes an image associated with the current control. For instance, a graphic on a web page or in an email message.
  • B - Describes the contents of the Windows Clipboard if it contains an image.
  • QUESTION MARK - Displays help for the Picture Smart layer.

There is also a PictureSmart folder where you can save an image and have it automatically submitted for analyzing and display the resulting description. To access this folder, press WINDOWS Key+E to open File Explorer, open the Pictures folder, and then open the PictureSmart folder.

To use Picture Smart, the "submit annonymous usage data" option must be enabled in Settings Center. This sends encrypted information to Freedom Scientific. The images from Picture Smart are then submitted to the various services (such as Microsoft and Google) which analyze the images and returns the descriptions back to JAWS. These descriptions are then displayed in the Results Viewer. If you attempt to use Picture Smart and this setting is off, a message displays prompting you to turn it on.

Note: Picture Smart is currently only available while in the English Language UI of JAWS and Fusion as the services that perform the image analysis do not currently support international languages for descriptions of images.

For users of localized versions of JAWS running in versions of Windows other than English, you must switch the JAWS UI language to English to try out this feature. We plan to make Picture Smart available in more languages in the future as these services continue to expand to include additional languages.