From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Fettgather
Sent: February 6, 2020 10:59
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: help with a website searching for bus directions and routes using jaws for windows version 2020

They are using Google Maps, which can be navigated with reasonable accessibility on the computer with Jaws. You must, absolutely must, turn off the virtual cursor with Insert Z.
Hundreds or perhaps thousands of municipalities are using Google Maps for their transit directions, and it is truly somewhat navigable with Jaws, but you must turn off the virtual cursor when in Google maps and use the tab key to move around within Google Maps.

On 2/6/20, Richard Turner <richardturner42@...> wrote:
From a quick check, they are pushing the Transit app for smart phones,
which is quite accessible on Android or iOS.
And, they are also using Google maps, and I've not found that overly
useful on a computer, though to be honest, I only use my iPhone for
transit directions.
Where I live, we have several choices of apps, all of which work well.
I've not found many transit systems web sites to be very accessible.

I think I would point out to them that they need to follow the
guidelines for web accessibility which they can find easily if they want to.
Given all the successful law suits lately about web accessibility, it
seems like they might get the hint if enough people contact them.
Good luck,
Richard
"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch
with it."
-- from The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe, by
Jane Wagner

On Feb 6, 2020, at 9:03 AM, Kimsan via Groups.Io
<kimsansong=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello,
I was asked here at work to write up an email to send off to the local
transit center explaining the inaccessibility of the website. At least
for me, the part that isn’t accessible using jaws is the planning for
a trip part on the website.
So, for those that do not understand my question, here is the scenario.
Student A needs to navigate to https://www.bft.org/, from the top of
the page, press E twice and will land on a starting address edit
field, tabbing once will place you in the ending address and the
rest is an edit box to select date of travel and time of travel
whether if it’s AM etc. Then there is a plan trip button to press spacebar on.
On the next screen, select mode of travel, so from the top press A
until arriving to the group of radio buttons. In this case I selected transit.
From here, the only way somewhat to get a clear reading is to route
jaws to pc.
Can someone here successfully get transit directions using this site,
before I write to the department? If not, how would I properly explain
the inaccessibility. I mean, do I just say, your map doesn’t work with
jaws for windows? 😊
Thank you for any help and suggestions.

Thank you,
Please consider purchasing my first single or streaming it via the
below
links:
https://music.apple.com/us/album/to-whom-this-may-concern-single/14972
01383?app=itunes&ign-mpt=uo%3D4
https://open.spotify.com/album/5korQlO82EeGT4qdJ65Pa6
https://play.google.com/store/music/album/Anomaly_To_Whom_This_May_Con
cern?id=Bxzxk5brhsmrltglj3sa6qzmgq4<https://nam03.safelinks.protection
.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fplay.google.com%2Fstore%2Fmusic%2Falbu
m%2FAnomaly_To_Whom_This_May_Concern%3Fid%3DBxzxk5brhsmrltglj3sa6qzmgq
4&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb976e0b61a9c44579fee08d7ab268151%7C84df9e7fe9f640a
fb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637166054169659718&sdata=wUL%2F5fssNRHHfuh
cY7zVIYG%2BdEDAHVfAv5miMjFEybs%3D&reserved=0>