moderated Re: help with a website searching for bus directions and routes using jaws for windows version 2020

Richard Turner

From a quick check, they are pushing the Transit app for smart phones, which is quite accessible on Android or iOS.
And, they are also using Google maps, and I've not found that overly useful on a computer, though to be honest, I only use my iPhone for transit directions.
Where I live, we have several choices of apps, all of which work well.
I've not found many transit systems web sites to be very accessible.

I think I would point out to them that they need to follow the guidelines for web accessibility which they can find easily if they want to.
Given all the successful law suits lately about web accessibility, it seems like they might get the hint if enough people contact them.
Good luck,
Richard

On Feb 6, 2020, at 9:03 AM, Kimsan via Groups.Io <kimsansong@...> wrote:

Hello,

I was asked here at work to write up an email to send off to the local transit center explaining the inaccessibility of the website. At least for me, the part that isn’t accessible using jaws is the planning for a trip part on the website.

So, for those that do not understand my question, here is the scenario.

Student A needs to navigate to https://www.bft.org/, from the top of the page, press E twice and will land on a starting address edit field, tabbing once will place  you in the ending address and the  rest is an edit box to select date of travel and time of travel whether if it’s AM etc. Then there is a plan trip button to press spacebar on.

On the next screen, select mode of travel, so from the top press A until arriving to the group of radio buttons. In this case I selected transit. From here, the only way somewhat to get a clear reading is to route jaws to pc.

Can someone here successfully get transit directions using this site, before I write to the department? If not, how would I properly explain the inaccessibility. I mean, do I just say, your map doesn’t work with jaws for windows? 😊

Thank you for any help and suggestions.

Thank you,

Please consider purchasing my first single or streaming it via the below links:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/to-whom-this-may-concern-single/1497201383?app=itunes&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

https://open.spotify.com/album/5korQlO82EeGT4qdJ65Pa6

https://play.google.com/store/music/album/Anomaly_To_Whom_This_May_Concern?id=Bxzxk5brhsmrltglj3sa6qzmgq4