moderated Re: Prevent Microsoft Word From Erasing Text

Ann Byrne

Overtype mode should not be checked.

At 03:31 AM 2/4/2020, you wrote:
Hi, it's Annabelle.
I have Microsoft Word 2003 (I know, I'm one of those old-school girls), and it seems I'm in a bit of a pickle with one of the parameters. The thing that's bothering me a little bit is that whenever I type something in a document, Microsoft Word seems to have this tendency to want to delete what's already there and replace it with what I just typed. When I go into the Options dialog box, there's a checkbox that says "Overtype Mode", and another that says, "Replace Text As You Type", and another that says "Typing Replaces Selection". All of these seem to be checked without my knowledge. Does this happen automatically? Is there a way to prevent this from happening? It's driving me crazy!