moderated Re: Recommendation: Open source screen reader program

N K Shackelford

Definitely N V D A. Just study the key commands, of which some are same as JAWS and some not; very easy.

Nance

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Justin Mcdevitt
Sent: Sunday, February 02, 2020 3:01 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Recommendation: Open source screen reader program

Hello list members:

Since retiring I have been involved in a number of volunteer activities. Recently I had a conversation with a local agency who is looking for a volunteer to assist clients in completing an online registration form as part of an interview process regarding potential receipt of specific services.

I understand that I cannot legally use one of my additional Jaws licenses because I have the Home version. Truth to tell, other than JAWS, I have never really worked with any other screen reader programs. Some years ago, Idid a cursory  review of NVDA. I understand that Narrator has improved in some measurable ways. I know that there are other programs out there.

For purposes of this opportunity, where I would need to load a screen reading program onto a laptop in order to conduct the interviews, I am looking for any recommendations of open-source screen Reader programs.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Best,  Justin