moderated Re: Success - JAWS won't start after sign-in

Jason White

Mine is empty as well, even though JAWS and several other programs start after I log in. I suspect they’re controlled by registry entries, but I may be wrong about that.

From: <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of "Richard B. McDonald" <richardbmcdonald@...>
Reply-To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Date: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 17:21
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: Re: Success - JAWS won't start after sign-in

Hi Jason!

Good job!  Your below worked!  I copied my JAWS 2019 shortcut from my desktop as you instructed below.  Now, after sign-in, it starts.  It took about 25 seconds to start, but it did!  I wonder if reactivating “fast startup” might improve this relatively slow startup of JAWS.  I may try doing this.  But, I can live with how it works now.

BTW, before pasting the JAWS shortcut into this startup folder, I noticed that there was nothing in it.

Thanks!

Richard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jason White via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 1:05 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: JAWS won't start after sign-in

Yes, typing Alt+d in File Explorer, followed by shell:startup will place you in the relevant directory. Try pasting the JAWS shortcut in there.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard B. McDonald
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 3:51 PM

Hi Jason!

Well, I am not on any sort of a corporate network, but I wonder about your below solution.  Maybe something like it might work for me!  You say that the solution was to copy the JAWS shortcut into “shell:startup (which is where the user’s startup programs reside).”  What does this mean.  I am used to seeing something more like “C: . . . “ or a directory path.  So, does your below indicate something like that?

Thanks,

Richard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jason White via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2020 5:04 AM

I once experienced this on a Windows 7 system. According to Freedom Scientific support, it was probably due to group policy settings (the machine was part of an Active Directory domain).

The solution was to copy the desktop shortcut for JAWS to shell:startup (which is where the user’s startup programs reside).

From: <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Dan Longmore <danlongmore44@...>
Reply-To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Date: Monday, January 27, 2020 at 07:46
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>

I’m glad you don’t have a problem on your system, but do realize that every system is a little different and on some systems this is an issue which Freedom Scientific is aware of.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.