From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jason White via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2020 12:23 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: ebook editor

If you are writing original material and wish to generate EPUB documents, then Pandoc would be an effective and accessible tool. You can write the documents in Pandoc Markdown (or one of the other formats supported by Pandoc) and convert them to EPUB.

I wouldn’t recommend Microsoft Word as the format in which to write, unless you’re careful to use styles properly throughout the document. Many users of Microsoft Word, unfortunately, use direct formatting extensively, leading to poorly structured documents that are less accessible to screen reader users and not as good as they should be when converted to other formats. The obvious sign of this is the lack of heading styles – for example, a paragraph in “normal” style which is marked as centered, and with fonts that make it look as though it’s a heading.

From: <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Alan Lemly <walemly@...>
Date: Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 12:24
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>

Richard and Juan,

I was under the impression that Juan was composing original material which is why I suggested using Microsoft Word to do so and then using Codex to convert it to ePub. I just did a quick search of ePub documents on my computer and when I opened the context menu on one of those files and arrowed to Codex to check what conversion options were possible, Word 2007 was one of the choices. That would create a docx file from an ePub one.

Alan