moderated Re: ebook editor

Jason,

Well, if you're going to use Microsoft Word, then you need to know how to create real headings with it and not attempt visual headings with formatting. Word seems to be widely used to I thought Juan might already have access to it.

Where does one obtain Pandoc, how much does it cost, and does it have the ability to save documents created with it in ePub format? If it can't create ePub documents, how do you convert them from its format to ePub?

Alan Lemly

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jason White via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2020 12:23 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: ebook editor

If you are writing original material and wish to generate EPUB documents, then Pandoc would be an effective and accessible tool. You can write the documents in Pandoc Markdown (or one of the other formats supported by Pandoc) and convert them to EPUB.

I wouldn’t recommend Microsoft Word as the format in which to write, unless you’re careful to use styles properly throughout the document. Many users of Microsoft Word, unfortunately, use direct formatting extensively, leading to poorly structured documents that are less accessible to screen reader users and not as good as they should be when converted to other formats. The obvious sign of this is the lack of heading styles – for example, a paragraph in “normal” style which is marked as centered, and with fonts that make it look as though it’s a heading.

From: <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Alan Lemly <walemly@...>
Reply-To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Date: Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 12:24
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>

Richard and Juan,

I was under the impression that Juan was composing original material which is why I suggested using Microsoft Word to do so and then using Codex to convert it to ePub. I just did a quick search of ePub documents on my computer and when I opened the context menu on one of those files and arrowed to Codex to check what conversion options were possible, Word 2007 was one of the choices. That would create a docx file from an ePub one.

Alan

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2020 10:06 AM

Are they already in ePub format?

If so, I’m not sure.

Alan had suggested using Codex which can convert Word to ePub, but it may also be able to convert ePub to Word, then do your edits and convert it back.

Not sure if that would work, but might be worth a try.

Here is Alan’s message again:

Juan,

I'd recommend you do your document editing and preparation with Microsoft Word and then use the excellent Codex program developed by James Scholes to convert it to ePub format. Codex can convert 18 different input formats including docx to 8 different output formats including ePub. You can read about it here:

http://jscholes.net/project/codex/#features

Alan Lemly

HTH,

Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Juan Hernandez
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2020 7:47 AM
Subject: ebook editor

HI All,

I have to edit and prepare some epub ebooks.  Is there an accessible editor for this? Calibre isn’t that accessible.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Juan

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.