moderated Re: The New Edge not that Great with JAWS Yet.

Randy Barnett

Also Google collects all your browsing habits. Brave is a chromium based browser that is Privacy oriented.

On 1/16/2020 1:58 PM, Randy Barnett via Groups.Io wrote:
Water Fox is even faster. I just started using it and it is noticeably faster loading pages than Chromium based browsers. I dont have any real issues with Edge but Water Fox is just faster so far anyway.

On 1/16/2020 10:43 AM, Tyler Wood wrote:
Hi,
There are settings in firefox to disable this, as well as in edge and chrome.
Becoming familiar with the web browser and its settings is essential these days since there are so many things to enable or disable. It's also good to have a few browsers at your disposal - for instance, Chrome, edge, and firefox - just in case a website doesn't play nice with one or the other.
I'm using Chrome, at least until I get the new Microsoft Edge, with firefox as a very little used backup. I stopped using it as my main browser when I realized just how much faster Chrome loaded web pages.
Hope that helps. It's a lot to take in and learn, at least at first, but a lot of web browsers share core functions such as remembering passwords, clearing history and temporary internet files, auto complete e.g. remembering usernames or searches that you type in the address bar. It just may be phrased a little differently in each.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Diamond
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2020 12:39 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: The New Edge not that Great with JAWS Yet.

Thanks.  Most live and die with Firefox.  I get frustrated with that too because it keeps asking me if I want it to remember a user name and password.  I know, I am a mess when it comes to things like this.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: January 16, 2020 9:31 AM

Hi David,

You are describing Edge HTML which originally was included with Windows 10. This new version of Edge which started to be distributed via Windows Update yesterday is based on the open source chromium engine which is aso used by Google Chrome and many other web browsers and it behaves completely differently. In fact, it is very much like Chrome, extremely accessible, very fast and with fantastic keyboard shortcut support.
There are no more "opening" or "closing" or whatever other announcements. I really recommend to wait until you get it via Windows Update and then try it. If you use Jaws and ask it to speak the version with Jaws Key + Control + V when the application is open, you should hear something like version 79 with a bunch of other numbers, if it still says version 44 you still have the old Edge.
For iPhone users there is also an iOS version of Edge and if you sign in on your PC and your iPhone with your Microsoft Id all your favourites, history and such will sync, I rarely use a browser on my iPhone, but Jonathan Mosen is apparently quite impressed by the iOS version as well as the new chromium based Windows version of Edge.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Diamond
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2020 8:30 AM

I must be missing something or late to the dance.  I can't stand Edge with all of its prompts.  "Opening ... closing ..."  It drives me crazy.  It is like someone telling you all the time, "starting street crossing, stopping street crossing, coming to ... leaving ..." I don't need or want all that information told to me.  Just tell me you are opening the web page or dialog box.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Mote
Sent: January 16, 2020 5:46 AM

I disabled the UI autimations in the flags settings of Edge. It seems to be working a little better. I would also highly recommend that you turn off autofilling of your user names and passwords. Maybe it's a personal preference for me, but it seems to work better when this information is not be remembered by the browser.

On 1/16/20, Debbie April Yuille <debbiey1982@...> wrote:
Hi All

I've just installed the new edge from the Microsoft website and I'm
finding it not very accessible with JAWS. First of all when navigating
around pages you get it saying "Japanese" some of the time as well as the page content.
Also, the menu controls are not always read out. I'm using the latest
build of JAWS 2020.

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks

Debbie

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.