moderated Re: MS EXCEL formula

Mario

the keystroke for step 3 should be control c as in copy.

-------- Original Message --------
From: Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io
[mailto:Robin_Van_Lant=Key.com@groups.io]
To: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io>
Date: Monday, January 13, 2020, 10:45 AM
Subject: MS EXCEL formula
I’ll give a crack at explaining this to build on what Anne was saying:
For simplicity in my mind, I’m going to approach this slightly different
from Anne.

I am assuming that cell D14 has your first dollar amount to add to the
running balance in Column E.
Step 1. Go to cell E14 and type “=D14”. This is just pulling in the
value from column D into column E for this line item as the first item
in your running balance.
Step 2: go down to Cell E15. This is the first place where you’ll be
adding a new line item to your running balance. Your formula should be
“=E14+D15”. This adds the value of the new line item to the balance
listed in the cell above.
Step 3. Go to cell E16 and press Control+D , which will copy the above
formula into this cell, adjusting the cell references as needed. You
can do this same keystroke all the way down Column E to build that
running balance.

There are other methods, but you seem to be a novice Excel user, so I’m
leaving this simple.