moderated Re: upgrading Jaws

Gerald Levy

Forget about specials.  If your sister's friend  has never used JAWS before, or else is several versions behind, her best bet would be to  purchase a one year license for JAWS 2020 right now for $90 and renew it every year.  This is the cheapest option because buying a copy of JAWS 2020 outright would cost over $1000,and would still cost a few hundred dollars even if Vispero/FS were to offer special deals. If you purchase JAWS outright, you own it forever, and would still have to purchase an SMA every two years to keep it up to date.  But if you purchase a one-year license, you are purchasing the right to use JAWS for one year and do not own it.  If you don't renew the license before it expires, then JAWS will revert to 40 minute demo mode. But you would have the right to use JAWS for ten years with the license option for the same price as purchasing it outright, and you would not have to make such a large one-time financial commitment.

Gerald

On 1/13/2020 10:36 AM, Mario wrote:
a friend of my sister is looking to get back in to using JAWS with
Windows 10, but I'm not sure if she's several versions behind or never
used JAWS before. if I tell her if she can wait til the FS/VFO S&S
summer special, would she be able to save quite a bit on a first time
purchase if she never used JAWS before?

how would one know if there is going to be a special, and when will the
upcoming special begin?

-------- Original Message --------
From: Edward Green [mailto:ergreen1981@...]
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Date: Monday, January 13, 2020, 3:07 AM
Subject: upgrading Jaws
Hi Alison,

If you can hang on, I'd wait for the Freedom Scientific/VFO/Sight and
Sound summer special, and buy a new JAWS licence outright. This is
likely to be significantly cheaper if previous years' pricing is
anything to go by.

Cheers,

Ed

On 12 Jan 2020, at 17:55, Vaughn Brown <jazzdressage@...> wrote:

I second Richard on all accounts.
Did you try cleaning between the keys? I use a small amount of rubbing
alcohol as it evaporates after a short time and will not damage any
sticky areas.
I am using JAWS 2020 and enjoy it. I did the $90/year subscription.
Again, your situation with JAWS is based on affordability.
Hope this helps.
Vaughn

On 1/12/20, Richard Turner <richardturner42@...> wrote:
First, the problem with the keys acting like they are jammed down may not be
a Jaws issue, so no one should say one way or the other if that will solve
your problem.
Maybe you could specify what you have tried already to resolve that issue.
The current version is Jaws 2020, so if you have just Jaws 18, you would
need 2018, 2019 and 2020, but since you get a little better deal doing them
in groups of two, you may want to do through 2021.
Or, you could go with the subscription model at $90 per year and jump right
into the 2020 version.
You'll have to do the math to see which makes the most sense in your
situation.
HTH,

Richard
"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with
it."
-- from The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe, by Jane
Wagner

On Jan 12, 2020, at 8:01 AM, CJ &AA MAY <chrisalismay@...> wrote:

I was given a free migration from Window-eyes to Jaws 18 but would now like
to upgrade. I see the price varies dependent upon how many upgrades you
want. How many would I need to have the current version? Would the current
version get rid of this problem I am having with the alt and windows key
appearing as jammed down?
Alison