moderated Re: Elbraille 40?

Tyler Wood

Hi,
Jaws and the focus and elbraille user's manual all have a fantastic list of commands and their descriptions. What I did for the longest time is make a cheat sheet in notepad with the most important (to me) commands listed. Then used it exclusively for 2-3 weeks. Now, I might forget one or two, but everything is just in the back of my brain. Like what someone says about training wheels - I can go months and be right back at it.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jessica D
Sent: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 9:42 PM
To: Milton Ota <mota1252@...>
Cc: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Elbraille 40?

Hi,
Right, I'm fully aware and 100% ok with the fact that the elbraille only has a braille keyboard.
I know braille.
The hardest part for me personally, will be learning the braille commands.
However, this task shouldn't be that difficult because I'm a very quick learner.
I also love to learn how to use my assistive tech, and for the most part, am self-taught, with help from user guides, and mailing lists, when necessary.

Thanks,
Jessica
On Jan 8, 2020, at 9:55 PM, Milton Ota <mota1252@...> wrote:

Hello All:
There is something that has not been mentioned here regarding the El Braille. It has nice features, fast and powerful but comparing it with a laptop the El Braille does not have a QWERTY keyboard. Everything is run from the keyboard of the Focus 14 or 40 braille display.

I must say that for what you are getting, and from what I have seen it is a bit pricy and you could get a netbook computer with an SSD drive and a 13 inch width and spend your money in finding the Focus 14 or 40 to be a much more price saver.

Also, I was told that doing windows update is not going to be the same as getting a comercially baught computer as there are some proprietary that Freedom Scientific and the manufacturer of the El Braille in Russa have done.

If I'm wrong on these things, I hope someone will varify them so that people don't plop a lot of money down a black hole and end up with something that gets outdated quickly as the technology is changing too fast.

Original message:
Hi,
I have a pc and braillenote touch+. Sometimes, I'm in invironments where hearing jaws, with speech alone is difficult, if not impossible.
Also, my laptop, being a 15-inch is quite huge and heavy, when placed in a backpack.
If I were to get an elbraille, like I'm seriously thinking of doing, that would become my main machine, and I'd use the laptop at home, or for things the elbraille can't handle.
Thanks,
Jessica

On Jan 8, 2020, at 8:35 PM, Morey Worthington <worthington@...> wrote:

Hi David. If this is you, and sorry about changing subject, but is there a tutorial made by you, or someone you know of, about using Outlook and its keystrokes?
Any thought appreciated. Again, sorry about changing subject line.
Morey Worthington
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Moore
Sent: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 4:27 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
I have ben wondering, for the price, what is the advantage of using the El Braille instead of a small laptop and a Braille display!
My laptops are only $250.00!
I use win10 and everything!
I have never been able to figure this out, and I was wondering what you use the El Braille for that makes it worth the price from Vispero?
David More
Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10
Sent: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 5:04 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>
on a Focus Braille To quickly switch between USB and Bluetooth is to hold down the Power Key and dot 123
The Focus 40 5th Generation can connect up to 5 devices at a time via Bluetooth.
Thanks for asking.
Best regards
Michael Munn
Member: Virginia Association of Blind Students National Federation of the Blind of Virginia <http://www.freedomscientific.com/Certification>
www.nfbv.org <http://www.freedomscientific.com/Certification>
Student of: Hadley Institute of the Blind <http://www.freedomscientific.com/Certification>
www.hadley.edu <http://www.freedomscientific.com/Certification>
On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 4:19 PM Randy Meyer <randymeyer@...> wrote: <http://www.freedomscientific.com/Certification>
I agree, it seems to take a second or three to open up Word, where my desktop and laptop it seems like a second or less. It works fine in word, but it does take a second or two to bring up the save as dialog. The hard drive is small, you have to be careful not to fill it up. It does have a data drive in addition to the regular drive. I would say plan to install office 365, Jaws and windows 10 and not a lot beyond that. On a positive note, I have not lost any files or data off of the hard drive, unlike a number of Braille note takers I have owned over 30+ years. It is great to use actual windows 10 and office 365, rather than proprietary note taker software that can open word and excel files and edit them, but is not word or excel. Randy Meyer -----Original Message----- From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tyler Wood Sent: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 2:50 PM To: main@jfw.groups.io Subject: Re: Elbraille 40? That's about right yes. The machine has an EMMC solid state drive, so read and write times are a lot quicker than a conventional mechanical hard drive. Think of it like having a thumb drive with no moving parts inside the machine instead of the wurring hard drive. The problem comes when you do processor intensive things. As I said though, for general office tasks and less resource intensive activities, it will get the job done. Perhaps not quite as speedily as other machines, but it will also give you 18 plus hours of batterylife. -----Original Message----- From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jessica D Sent: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 2:46 PM To: main@jfw.groups.io Subject: Re: Elbraille 40? Hi, I just watched a few youtube videos, that demoed the elbraille 14. One of the videos showed booting up, and opening word, both of which, I thought were very fast. It seemed like jaws was loaded in about 30 seconds, maybe more like a minute. Is that accurate? Thanks, Jessica > On Jan 8, 2020, at 3:25 PM, Tyler Wood <tcwood12@...> wrote: > > Hi Randy, > The elbraille 14 can be paired with Bluetooth to the gdp pocket. With a simple command, the unit can be switched from USB, which is how it communicate with the elbraille, to Bluetooth. Alternatively you could undo the USB connection from the docking station and connect it to the pocket. It's unfortunate that you have Bluetooth issues - I regularly use mine on my Android phone and switch back to the elbraille for other things. > The docking station - essentially the part that is the windows computer - is slow, however is perfectly fine for general usage and as you said will give excellent batterylife compared with 99% of new laptops. > > -----Original Message----- > From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Randy Meyer > Sent: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 1:38 PM > To: main@jfw.groups.io > Subject: Re: Elbraille 40? > > I have an ElBraille 14. I have found it to be slow. It was affordable, as I already had Jaws, bought a used focus 14 display, and paid some where around $1,000 for the docking station. I agree that the battery life is great. > > I recently purchased a mini laptop, the GDP Pocket for around $350 and pared it with a used focus 40 display I picked up at a reasonable price. It is faster. I found I needed to connect the display by cord, because Bluetooth was unreliable. I like that it gives me the option to use the small keyboard on the computer instead of the Braille display keyboard. I only do this when something stumps me for the correct Braille keyboard command. The downside is far less battery life, especially because the Braille display draws from the computer's battery before using it's own. I would say my battery life runs somewhere between 4 and 6 hours, depending on use, where the ElBraille is probably triple that. > > Purchasing the ElBraille did force me to learn all of the Braille keyboard commands, which gave me the confidence to purchase the GDP Pocket and try it with a Braille display. I can put the ElBraille 14 in a jacket pocket or even a pants pocket, where I can not do that with a GDP Pocket with a 40-cell display. > > I still use both machines depending on the convenience factor and computer power needed. > > Randy Meyer > > -----Original Message----- > From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard > Turner > Sent: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 8:02 AM > To: main@jfw.groups.io > Subject: Re: Elbraille 40? > > It is fascinating to me that their web site does not give any prices for the 14 or 40 version of this low-end Windows machine combo and if one follows the link to the place to purchase either one, you find a 404 page not found error. > I wouldn't be in the market anyway, but just curious. > I personally would rather have a full fledged laptop and a braille display but I guess I can understand the appeal to some with the extended battery life they claim. > > O well, I'll shut up now on this topic. > > > > Richard > > 🖖 Live long and prosper > > > Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com > > -----Original Message----- > From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Les > Kriegler > Sent: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 5:44 AM > To: main@jfw.groups.io > Subject: Re: Elbraille 40? > > Hi Richard, > > I'll be glad to try and answer your question with the understanding that I know far less than you. If someone was in the market for a braille note taker, the idea is that you have an integrated unit, braille display and ElBraille unit which runs the Windows Operating System. So you could run Office 365, 2019, 2016 or 2013. Many have Jaws already, so one does not have to buy Jaws again. For those who don't have a Jaws license, it will be more expensive, I don't know the price of the bundle for the unit, Focus 40 Five and Jaws. In my case, if I purchase the ElBraille 5, I only need the unit as I already have Jaws and the Focus 5 display. Hope this helps. > > Les > > -----Original Message----- > From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard > Turner > Sent: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 8:33 AM > To: main@jfw.groups.io > Subject: Re: Elbraille 40? > > OK, could someone who knows far more than I explain what the point is with this new device from FS? > > ElBraille 40 V combines the flexibility of a modern mainstream computer running the Windows® 10 operating system with JAWS® and a 40-cell Braille display with a full Braille keyboard to offer a fully accessible compact solution. (JAWS and Braille display sold separately. > > I copied the above from their web site. What is the point if you have to buy the Focus 40 blue and Jaws separately? > ) > > > > > Richard > "Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it." > -- from The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe, by > Jane Wagner > > > > On Jan 8, 2020, at 5:21 AM, Les Kriegler <kriegler01@...> wrote: > > > > Hi Jessica, > > If you check FS's site, you'll see that shipping is scheduled for this month. Back in October, the unit was supposed to be out in a matter of days. In November, the same statement was made on the FS OpenLine podcast. I have no idea as to what the issues are, as nobody has publicly indicated anything. I heard there was a parts issue, but that was supposed to have been resolved last September. The Focus 40 5 is definitely not out. > > Les > > -----Original Message----- > From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jessica D > Sent: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 7:45 AM > To: main@jfw.groups.io > Subject: Re: Elbraille 40? > > Hi, > Earlier, someone mentioned delays. > Are there production delays? > Is the elbraille 5th generation out? > I keep checking the fs website, but last I saw, it said, "shippingin November." > Thanks, > Jessica > > > > > > On Jan 8, 2020, at 7:42 AM, Michael Munn <michaelrbms@...> wrote: > > > >  > I don't know whether you can connect the entire note taker and use it as a Braille display, but you can detach the Braille display and use the braille in conjunction with your iPhone. > Thanks for asking. > Best regards > Michael Munn > > > > <https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww. > freedomscientific.com%2FCertification&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C1aa374d6cd > 2b40a46fcc08d79440d136%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C63 > 7140878408052422&amp;sdata=ZqV3BWc%2FSCgINksACEizpnI79mlqTduoTIZ9USao% > 2FtY%3D&amp;reserved=0> > > Member: Virginia Association of Blind Students National > Federation of the Blind of Virginia > > > https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.nfbv.org&amp;d > ata=02%7C01%7C%7C1aa374d6cd2b40a46fcc08d79440d136%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb4 > 35aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637140878408052422&amp;sdata=iu7nxnn7%2FLzFiO > pwaq3mikK6cyvtG6K6gSH4c%2Fc%2FnBg%3D&amp;reserved=0 > <https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww. > nfbv.org&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C1aa374d6cd2b40a46fcc08d79440d136%7C84df > 9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637140878408052422&amp;sdata=w5 > sYibqsjyP%2Bq2pfHpmBtBnl15XPqcnqhmLik%2Bh2ou0%3D&amp;reserved=0> > > Student of: Hadley Institute of the Blind > > > > https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.hadley.edu&amp > ;data=02%7C01%7C%7C1aa374d6cd2b40a46fcc08d79440d136%7C84df9e7fe9f640af > b435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637140878408052422&amp;sdata=iLxHncit4%2FlG > yx%2BQKToctZ1RLKaNnS3oimswNwrQCC8%3D&amp;reserved=0 > <https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww. > hadley.edu&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C1aa374d6cd2b40a46fcc08d79440d136%7C84 > df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637140878408052422&amp;sdata= > lf59glxZm553WWLHdkIXhAZIpkZ73k3xkw9zEeX1Be0%3D&amp;reserved=0> > > > > On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 9:44 PM Michael Munn via Groups.Io <michaelrbms=gmail.com@groups.io <mailto:gmail.com@groups.io> > wrote: > > > It is a Windows 10 computer being compacted in to a small box. You can do anything that used to do on a Windows 10 computer to ElBraille 40. Note Taker. > > On Jan 7, 2020, at 9:31 PM, Jessica D <jldail13@... <mailto:jldail13@...> > wrote: > > > > Hi, > > Thank you both for the info. > > Can you use your microsoft account password, as your login password? > > This is what I do currently. > > I'm on the home annual license, and have activated 1 of my allowed 3 computers. > > > > Thanks, > > Jessica > >> On Jan 7, 2020, at 9:24 PM, Tyler Wood <tcwood12@... <mailto:tcwood12@...> > wrote: > >> > >> Hi, > >> I have the Elbraille 14 and it is very well made. It is not the 40, but it is also detachable. > >> Thanks > >> > >> > >> -----Original Message----- > >> From: main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io> <main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io> > On Behalf Of Michael Munn > >> Sent: Tuesday, January 7, 2020 8:22 PM > >> To: main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io> > >> Subject: Re: Elbraille 40? > >> > >> The El Braille 40 5 Generation is a very well made piece. I I have the opportunity to play with it during NFB Convention last year in Las Vegas NV and the size is a little big. That is the cons of the unit. The Pro of the El Braille 40 5th generation is that you can get a braille display along with 2 activation of Jaws. Unlike ElBraille 40 4th Generation, the El Braille display 5th generation is detachable from the docking Station. A user can take the Braille display with them. > >> Overall, This is a device that worth buying. > >> It is a little expensive though. > >>>> On Jan 7, 2020, at 11:28 AM, Jessica D <jldail13@... <mailto:jldail13@...> > wrote: > >>> > >>> Hi, > >>> I currently have a Braillenote touch+ from HumanWare. > >>> However, due to battery and other issues, I had to send it in for repair. > >>> If they can’t fix it, I’m considering purchasing an ElBraille 40. > >>> > >>> Does anyone on here have experience with these devices? > >>> I tired to connect my braillenote to my computer for use with jaws, but it failed. > >>> > >>> Thanks, > >>> > >>> Jessica > >>> > >>> > >>> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > <http://www.freedomscientific.com/Certification>

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.