Re: Logon, logoff and shutdown sound for Windows 10

I am not sure why Jaws should have a Windows shut-down event sound.

Enabling the Windows shut-down sound is certainly possible, I used the method Brian Vogel posted on the Windows 10 list before and I pasted the steps below.

Note that your issue may simply be the fact that you have fast startup enabled, the Windows shut-down sound will not work or at best work unreliably if fast startup is enabled.

Play Sound at Shutdown in Windows 10

Starting in Windows 8, the Windows Shutdown sound event has been disabled. This leaves you unable to change or play the Windows Shutdown sound when a user selects to shut down the PC in Windows 10. As a workaround, you can still create an elevated task to play a sound at shutdown Windows 10.

This tutorial will show you how to play a sound at shutdown for all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to create an elevated task. Here's How:

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type taskschd.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Task Scheduler.

2. Click/tap on Task Scheduler Library in the left pane of Task Scheduler, and click/tap on Create Task in the right Actions pane.

3. In the General tab, type a name (ex: "Play shutdown sound") you want for this task.

4. In the General tab, select Run whether user is logged on or not.

5. In the General tab, check the Run with highest privileges box.

6. In the General tab, select Windows 10 in the Configure for drop down.

7. Click/tap on the Triggers tab, and click/tap on the New button.

8. Perform the actions below:

A) Select "On an event" in the Begin the task drop down.

B) Select "System" in the Log drop down.

C) Type "1074" (user initiated shutdown) in the Event ID drop down, and click/tap on OK.

9. Click/tap on the Actions tab, and click/tap on the New button.

10. Perform the actions below:

A) Select Start a program in the Action drop down.

B) Type "PowerShell" in the Program/script field box.

C) Enter the command below into the Add arguments field box, and click/tap on OK.

-c (New-Object Media.SoundPlayer 'C:\Windows\Media\Windows Shutdown.wav').PlaySync();

Note: If you wanted to play a sound (.wav file) of your choice instead, you can substitute C:\Windows\Media\Windows Shutdown.wav in the command above with the full path of the .wav file you want to be played.

11. Click/tap on the Conditions tab, uncheck the "Start the task only if the computer is on AC power" and click/tap on OK.

12. You will be prompted to enter your account's password, do so and click/tap on OK.

The "Play Shutdown Sound" task is now finished, and will now play a sound when the PC is shutdown.