moderated Re: It's new computer time and I am looking for advice.

Michael Munn

I recently purchased a new computer for my self and The model is an HP NVX360 convertible  running the latest I7 processor with the 8GB of Ram and 256 GB of SSD.I would recommend a PC with SSD instead of HDD. This is just my opinion.
Best Regards
Michael Munn

JAWS Certified, 2019

Member: Virginia Association of Blind Students National Federation of the Blind of Virginia

www.nfbv.org

www.hadley.edu

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 10:32 PM Tyler Wood <tcwood12@...> wrote:

Ryzen’s are definitely climbing up there in terms of performance. There is a new Ryzen 4th generation laptop processor that is being shown off at some point in the coming days at CES so if you can put off buying a machine until then, you’ll see some great engineering.

There are a few apps that make mobile browsing nice, but by and large navigation on the web is inefficient compared with a pc if we’re talking Safari vs. Chrome or firefox. But not even that – general productivity is worse off for a few things – especially if you’re having to navigate between apps, or if an app like zoom is running and in a call and you can’t listen to an audio clip because of the iPhone’s silly restrictions. Of course – that’s apple. Android has more ability and openness to do these things but comes with its own set of issues. Still though. Mobile has truly come a long way – something I will always miss, though, are Nokia phones. Remember when the mobile version of youtube would load in seconds on a phone from 2008?

There are some super nifty looking machines out now – the GPD Micro and pocket are little powerhouses that have 6 and 7 inch screens, respectively. Not that that is what you’re looking for in particular, but it’s an all in one device complete with a keyboard – it’s hard to beat, and is even pocket sized, mostly. Hopefully one day we get Windows 10 on a device of that size that is affordable and also can make and receive phone calls. We’ve almost got it on Android with the Windows 10 your phone app. I can be on the other end of the house from my phone and be texting as though it was right in front of me. Who needs a $1500 Macbook pro? It apparently will be able to make and receive phone calls, too, and it can also see all of your phone notifications on the pc with the ability to customize what apps are allowed to cast them over.