It could be that the websites you use just don't work all that well on a phone.

 for what I do mobile, searching for information, and reading a few select websites, my iphone does it all. Many big websites also have apps, and for things like CNBC and Bloomberg, the apps are more accessible than using the websites even on a pc.

If I really want to dig into something, I prefer a real keyboard, and most laptops don't do it for me without an external keyboard.  I am currently using a gaming desktop.  It is complete overkill, but when I switched from my old desktop with a 4th- gen i5 to this Ryzen 7 3700, I definitely noticed the difference.  Everything just responded faster.  You can keep an older system going a long time by putting an ssd in it, and I'd recommend that before replacing a perfectly functioning computer made within the last 6-7 years, but once things get weird, you can't beat getting something powerful that you won't have to worry about hopefully for a long time.

On 1/7/2020 14:17, Jim Rawls wrote:

I agree with you on all points here. I am not a fan of my IPhone, and always like surfing on my current laptop. I am not a good user of the IPhone. I prefer a windows computer over anything apple has to offer. That’s just me, and if someone likes their mac better, good for them. I’m going out this afternoon to see what I see. Jim

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tyler Wood
Sent: Tuesday, January 7, 2020 10:46 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: It's new computer time and I am looking for advice.

Hi,

In all fairness, when was the last time you actually bought anything on a disk? I have blank dvds from 7 years ago that still haven’t been used up. Unless you watch movies – and in that case, a portable USB dvd drive would be perfect, and cost $10. That way, when you don’t actually use it, you’re not carrying that extra half a pound to a pound constantly.

Phones can’t do everything – if I had to use my phone every day I’d be missing out on tons. Browsing the web on an iPhone is horrifically inefficient – having to use the rotor to find the item I want to jump by, then actually trying to jump by that item, is done so much quicker on any modern laptop or desktop computer with a single keypress. Don’t get me started on apples horrible audio streams and how audio can get interrupted by the smallest thing in 2020 or how multiple audio streams still can’t be a thing. My Lenovo, luckily, still has an applications key, but I’ve noticed more and more that certain things like websites are requiring simulated clicks of the mouse (good luck performing that on any mobile device, too). I really like the layout of the function keys on this machine too – I hate this new design where they are all laid out together with no spacing to separate the various groups.

I don’t think there are any less USB ports on computers than there were 4 years ago – unless you get one with all USB C ports. Mine still has 2 USB A ports along with 2 USB C. I have a USB hub which I keep hard drives and things plugged into, but it’s just a 3 port one and is not externally powered and I rarely use all 3 ports. My Toshiba from 2013 had 3 USB A ports with only one being 3.0 and it is still going today. Despite what many people claim, older machines with solid state drives are still perfectly useable – this has a 3rd generation core i5 that still speedily does everything one could ask in an office environment, so the huge core i7’s are certainly not going to get you any further ahead. In ultra low voltage scenarios, they’re only at most 10% faster than their i5 counterparts. The core i9’s that are coming out now are, in some cases, slower than the i7’s they’re meant to beat. Intel is really dropping the ball the last year.

Still, when crunch time comes, I’ll take a computer over a phone any day of the week, any time. A phone is nice to quickly, forgive the wording, but glance at – but when I want to get work done, a computer is hard to beat.