moderated Re: What does "on top" window mean?

JM Casey

Hey guys.

I believe “on top” means just what it implies – when a window is “on top”, it means it appears “onn top” of other windows and windows will not pop open “over top” of it. This is mostly a visual thing I guess; good if you are working and don’t want to be distracted by other stuff. As far as I know, it’s not the same as “full screen”.

Anyway, any programmes that run in background or aren’t needed should be minimisable to the system tray or even just sit on the taskbar and not actually have an active window. Antivirus programmes definitely should not be so obtrusive. See if you can look into tweaking some settings; if this is at work, you can probably ask the service desk for help if you have one and don’t feel like messing around with whatever they installed on your machine.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io
Sent: January 7, 2020 11:40 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: What does "on top" window mean?

Good question. I‘ve wondered this, too.  In my current list, I have three programs showing as “on top”.  Each of these is one I do not launch, but are auto-launched by my company or my laptop.  I actually wish that I could have a checkbox that allowed me to hide these from the list view.  If I use this function to move between programs, it just feels like clutter to have our antivirus and other programs in the list.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard B. McDonald
Sent: Tuesday, January 7, 2020 8:29 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: What does "on top" window mean?

Hi!

If I press JAWSKey+F10, I get a list of all open windows.  Sometimes, it indicates that a particular window is “on top.”  And, this dialogue has a checkbox to show only windows that are “on top.”  So, what does it mean that a window is “on top?”

Thanks,

Richard

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.