moderated Re: It's new computer time and I am looking for advice.

Maria Campbell

My preference for laptops was Toshiba, but they are hard to get these days at reasonable prices.  I now have a Lenovo, which is OK, with a numbers pad and DVD drive.  I use an external keyboard or blue tooth one.  I don't mind carrying it in a computer bag when I travel.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

A lot of people don’t ever take their laptop anywhere, but if you do or even just like to bring it to different places in your house then a laptop is probably a better choice.

It’s no more difficult or hard to plug an external keyboard whether wired or wireless into a laptop and if you use a Bluetooth one like the Logitech K780 then you don’t even have to plug it in, just connect it.

The same goes for speakers, you can easily plug in external speakers or, once again, you could use a Bluetooth headset.

I do have a laptop at home because I do occasionally bring it to trade shows I attend or when I go on holidays for longer than a week, but at home it almost always sits in my office plugged in and I use a Logitech K780 and a Logitech H800 headset, both are Bluetooth and I can go most places in my house with them.

If I didn’t want a laptop from time to time I could easily have a mini PC at home, those are my preference at my business because they are small, virtually silent and they do all I need them to do. Of course if you want a higher performance one with an I7 CPU, 16Gb of RAM and a 512Gb SSD they may cost a bit more.

I used to have a few of the Intel NUC mini PC’s, but a few years ago bought two HP EliteDesk 800 G2, one with an I5 and one an I7 CPU, both sixth generation,  and by now I only have 1 Intel NUC left, the other 3 are all HP with the latest being the EliteDesk 800G4 with an 8th generation I7 CPU and it’s a great little PC.

Best regards,

Sieghard