moderated Re: It's new computer time and I am looking for advice.

Chris Hill

I used to use a laptop a lot, but with the advent of an iphone, the portability isn't of much use to me anymore.  I take mine on vacation, and that's about it.  Having fewer usb ports on a laptop means each one is going to end up getting more wear.  If one finds themselves constantly plugging and unplugging multiple devices, a cheap hub may be in order.  I think people have defaulted to the laptop as computer scenario, even though phones have made moving a computer around something that may be a lot less necessary than it used to  be.

Sad thing is that even some modern desktops don't come with things like built-in dvd drives.  You really have to check the specs on whatever you plan on buying.

Keyboards have become more and more of an issue.  Not only are things like the application keys going away, but many desktop keyboards have no key spacing and are horrible.  I bought one of the gaming keyboards, it has all the keys, is supposedly spill proof, and was the best $60 I have spent in a long time.