moderated Re: JAWS 2019 Does not Launch at Startup in Windows 10

Richard B. McDonald

I did this morning.  They were not helpful.  We tried unchecking the Windows power option “fast start,” but that did not fix the problem.  They then said I should upgrade to JAWS 2020, and if that did not fix the problem to call the Microsoft disability hotline.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Monday, January 06, 2020 8:02 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: JAWS 2019 Does not Launch at Startup in Windows 10

Richard, have you called Jaws technical support? I think at this point this might be a good way to troubleshoot this further.

#1:

Try pressing, control, shift + escape, to open the task manager.

Control + tab to the Startup tab and tab 1 time into a list of items.

Down arrow to Application file for Jaws and tab 3 times to see its status.  If it says, Enable, this means that Jaws is not turned on to start with the computer.  So, press the spacebar so Jaws reports, Disable, to turn it on.  No, I'm not talking backwards, this is the way it works.  Now Alt + F4 to close and reboot the computer to see if it works.

#2:

1. Open the control panel, navigate to the Ease of Access Center link and press enter.

2. Tab to, Use the computer without a display Link, and press enter.

3. Now tab several times to find all of your installed screenreaders and make sure the version of Jaws you want to run at startup is checked.

Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2020 1:17 PM

Hi!

I am running the latest version of JAWS 2019.  Recently, I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10.  After doing so, JAWS does not launch automatically upon startup.  For now, the PC has only one user account with no password.  As such, when started the PC just logs-in and goes straight to the desktop.  I have set JAWS 1) to launch at the logon screen (though there is none yet) and 2) always to start for the user.  Still, JAWS does not launch.

What is the solution to this?

Thanks,

Richard