moderated Re: Jaws 2020

Apparently some of the newest AMD processors currently blow intel out of the water although the new 9th generation I7 is supposed to be also very good.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Hill
Sent: Sunday, December 8, 2019 7:47 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws 2020

Oh heck no.  my amd chip has 8 cores and can run two threads per core. Your info is way out of date.

On 12/8/2019 09:44, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io wrote:

Be careful when evaluating processor speed.  My understanding is that
AMD processors have only one core which means that even though an AMD
processor  may be rated at a speed of say, 3.5 gHZ, it may not be as
fast in real world use as a multicore Intel processor rated at the
same speed.

Gerald

On 12/8/2019 10:32 AM, Chris Hill wrote:
Processor brand doesn't matter, it is the speed of the processor that
matters.  There are some pretty fast AMD processors out there, but
there are some laptop manufacturers that are happy to sell you
something slow and cheap even though you will be miserable.  You can
buy a brand new laptop today that will be slower than a 6-year-old
mid-range desktop if you aren't careful.

Use the system section of control panel to find out what processor
you have, then go here:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/

and search it out in the chart and get the speed.  Do the same with
any new computer you are looking at.

On 12/7/2019 16:23, Don H wrote:
Does Jaws 2020 run just as well on a laptop running a AMD processor
and graphics?  Considering purchasing a HP Envy 360 15z laptop