moderated Re: Jaws 2020

Chris Hill

Oh heck no.  my amd chip has 8 cores and can run two threads per core.  Your info is way out of date.

On 12/8/2019 09:44, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io wrote:

Be careful when evaluating processor speed.  My understanding is that AMD processors have only one core which means that even though an AMD processor  may be rated at a speed of say, 3.5 gHZ, it may not be as fast in real world use as a multicore Intel processor rated at the same speed.

Gerald

On 12/8/2019 10:32 AM, Chris Hill wrote:
Processor brand doesn't matter, it is the speed of the processor that matters.  There are some pretty fast AMD processors out there, but there are some laptop manufacturers that are happy to sell you something slow and cheap even though you will be miserable.  You can buy a brand new laptop today that will be slower than a 6-year-old mid-range desktop if you aren't careful.

Use the system section of control panel to find out what processor you have, then go here:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/

and search it out in the chart and get the speed.  Do the same with any new computer you are looking at.

On 12/7/2019 16:23, Don H wrote:
Does Jaws 2020 run just as well on a laptop running a AMD processor and graphics?  Considering purchasing a HP Envy 360 15z laptop