moderated Re: BlueTooth Keyboard Recommendations

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) <steven.hicks@...>

Hi Tom,

I Am using a Logitek keyboard as we speak, I think that it is a K780 but I can check if you like.

It is Bluetooth and will connect with any Bluetooth machine e.g. it is running with my laptop that has built in Bluetooth.

You have to pair it but that is quite simple, it just flashes a code when you add the device which you only need to type in once.

This one is a full keyboard, it has the number pad and is PC focused.

It runs on two triple a batteries, I have had mind for about a year, I don’t use it very often but it is still on the same batteries.

As far as I am aware, it won’t actually charge the batteries but you could use rechargeable ones and charge them outside of the keyboard.

It has round keys which is a bit different but it is quite easy to get used to.

I Love the feel of it, it is great!

One thing I really do love is that it can pair with three devices, f1, f2 and f3 will switch between the paired devices once they have been set up initially.

The only thing I am not so fond of is the function keys have to be pressed with FN first if you want their standard function e.g. fn+f1 for example gives the standard f1 which is help most of the time.

You can install the Logitek options software which will allow you to change this default action but that is a bit fiddly, I am sure you could get someone to help and as far as I am aware, this is the only way to change the default function key action, I would love to find another way.

I Hope that this helps in some way!

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: 30 November 2019 17:00
To: jfw list <jfw@groups.io>
Subject: BlueTooth Keyboard Recommendations

Hello, everyone.

I hope this quiry will not be considered to be off topic for the list, since it does have implications for much of the computer work that I do.

Basically, I’m wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good and reliable bluetooth keyboard.

I plan to use the keyboard for various purposes on both my main windows 10 computer, and the older Windows 7 computer I use for ham radio purposes.

I don’t know a whole lot about bluetooth keyboards, but here are a few requirements I’m thinking about:

1.  I’d like the keyboard to be easily paired with both my computers an a fairly blind-friendly and straight-forward way

2.  I’d like to be able to easily switch from one device to the next

3.  Even though this is not totally necessary, I’d prefer that the batteries for the keyboard be replaceable, rather than built-in.  Or, at the very least, I’d like to be able to charge any batteries easily and reliably.

4.  I’d like the keyboard to be fairly portable, and to include the number pad.

5.  I’d like the cost to be reasonable, but not exorbitant, since this is an optional computer accessory.

I realize that this might be a tall order, but thought I’d give it a try here.  Some have recommended Logitec keyboards as a good fit for my needs, but I don’t know much about them.

Thanks for any assistance.

Tom Behler

********************************************************************************************************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the
sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in relation to its contents. To do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland. NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and other accredited email services.

For more information and to find out how you can switch, https://portal.nhs.net/help/joiningnhsmail

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.