Re: Another Logitec K780 Question

Richard Turner

I had an out-of-the-box thought this morning.
Does the Polaris have a usb port for a qwerty keyboard?
If so, try using the USB dongle on the Polaris.
That way you simply have to swap the dongle rather than dealing with the switches.
Let me know if that works.

Richard
"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it." 
-- from The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe, by Jane Wagner

On Dec 3, 2019, at 9:08 AM, Tom Behler <tombehler@...> wrote:

Thanks again, Sieghard.

I appreciate all of your help over the past day or two.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 11:14 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Another Logitec K780 Question

I think 3 devices is all you can do including the Dongle, i.e. you can do 3 Bluetooth devices or use the Dongle and then do 2 more devices via Bluetooth.

I have never found a separate button for the USB dongle, it is my understanding it is whichever of the easy switch keys you use.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 6:38 AM

I’m Sure Sieghard will answer, but I think you have answered your own question.

The dongle is using one of the 3 switches, so to pair with a 4th device, you would have to turn Bluetooth off on one device, pair the 4th device to its slot, and then you would have to be sure to turn Bluetooth off on the 4th device and back on the third device before being able to connect again.

The only reason I asked about the button for the dongle is that the Logitech H800 headpones have a switch with a Bluetooth position and a different position for the USB dongle, allowing easy switching between two devices.

Personally, while I know sometimes having a qwerty keyboard connected to a braille note taker is handy; I’d prioritize the iPhone over the Polaris.

But, that is just me.

The Logitech K780 sounds like a keyboard I should be recommending  to my clients.

Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 6:28 AM

Right now, I have the dongle connection for the Windows 7 PC set on the first button—button 1.

If there is a separate button for the dongle connection, I would think it should be easy to switch to it, but am not sure.

Will wait to see what others suggest.

Thanks again, everyone.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 9:21 AM

Sieghard is obviously the authority on this, but if you have to use one of the switch keys f1, f2, or f3, to connect to the Windows 7 machine, then you are stuck with 3 devices only.

If there is a separate button for the Dongle connection, then you should be able to follow the standard Bluetooth pairing steps to connect to the 4th device with the remaining f key.

Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 6:15 AM
To: jfw list <jfw@groups.io>
Subject: Another Logitec K780 Question

Hello, again, everyone.

So far, I have successfully paired my new Logitec K780 bluetooth keyboard to my two office computers.  I had to use the USB dongle to pair my older Windows 7 machine, but was able to do a bluetooth pairing for my newer Windows 10 computer.  I also plan to pair the keyboard with my Polaris Braille note-taker.

Once the Polaris pairing is done, this will mean that I have interfaced the keyboard with three devices so far.

I believe I read that if you use the dongle for one device, you can theoretically pair the keyboard with four devices.

Is this true?

If so, how can it be done, because I think there are only three device-selection buttons on the K780.

If I can pair to a fourth device, I’d like to try the keyboard with my IPhone 8.

In closing, I want to thank everyone for all of your patience as I sort things out here with the K780 keyboard.  I realize that the thread might have been slightly off topic, so your tolerance is very much appreciated.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.