Re: Logitec K780 Question

Glenn / Lenny

Tom,
Thanks for the update.
What are the dimensions of the keyboard?
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2019 5:41 AM
Subject: Re: Logitec K780 Question

Glenn:

With some effort, I actually was able to get the function keys to work the way I want them to.

I had to go into the Logitec Options software that I installed when I activated the keyboard and check a box that said something like use the standard function keys.

Once I did this, I was fine.

The Windows function keys now work normally as they should.

If I want to do something like switch to another device, raise or lower the volume level, etc.,  I simply have to hold down the FN key on the keyboard and then use the function key I need for what I want to do.

So, all is well now.

By the way, I really love the Logitech K780!

I wish I had bought one years ago, and at yesterday’s price of $39 US, it was an excellent bargain.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Monday, December 2, 2019 9:42 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Logitec K780 Question

Hi Tom,

Do the F-keys work on the laptop as you would like, or do you have to press the FN key on that as well?

The reason I ask is that the keyboard should only do what your computer would do.

You may have to disable this in the BIOS of that computer.

HTH.

Glenn

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, December 02, 2019 7:57 PM

Subject: Logitec K780 Question

Hello, Everyone.

I originally wanted to write off list to Sieghard, but can’t seem to retrieve his personal address from the below e-mail, so I’ll certainly welcome anyone’s response.

I have successfully paired my Logitec K780 keyboard with my new Windows 10 laptop via bluetooth, and also have paired it wirelessly with my older Windows 7 computer via the dongle that was provided with the keyboard.

To those of you who have Logitec K780 bluetooth keyboards, I have a question, though:

As we know, the function keys on the top of the Logitec K780 are used for many different functions, including selecting the devices to which the keyboard is paired, controling the volume level, etc.

The only way I can convert those function keys to the standard Windows function keys (F1 through F12) is to hold down the FN key on the lower lefthand corner of the keyboard.  This can become rather awkward when, for example, closing a Word document with Control F4 or closing an app with Alt F4.

We installed the logitec options software, but that has not solved this issue.

Is there any way to lock in the function keys so they remain the standard windows function keys, so I don’t have to press the FN key whenever I want to do something involving those standard Windows function keys? I can do this on my Windows 10 PC by toggling them on or off via the FN and escape keys.

Thanks for any assistance.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Sunday, December 1, 2019 6:30 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: BlueTooth Keyboard Recommendations

Hi Tom,

If you want portable/compact the Logitech K780 is probably your best choice. It’s heavy because it’s made heavy since you can stand an iPad up in a channel which runs across from left to right above the function keys, but while it has a full numeric pad, it’s still fairly compact because it does not have the big gap you find on a full-size keyboard with the 6-pack and inverted cursor T. The K780 actually has the inverted cursor T, but it’s underneath the right shift key, think of the shift and enter key being the width of 3 other keys so the left arrow, down arrow and right arrow take up the same space as the shift key and in height the down arrow and up arrow above it are I think also the same height as the shift key.

The nice thing with this keyboard is that it is a Bluetooth keyboard, but it also comes with Logitech’s tiny unifying USB receiver so if you have a computer without Bluetooth (most likely your Windows 7 computer won’t have it), you can plug in the little dongle and use your Windows 7 PC that way and you can pair your Windows 1 PC which hopefully has Bluetooth via Bluetooth.

You can pair up to 3 devices with that keyboard so you could even pair it with your iPhone as a third device and all you have to do is press F1, F2 and F3 to switch between device 1, device 2 and device 3.

The one issue is that the function keys will not work as regular function keys unless you install the Logitech Options software where you can change this. It’s not a very accessible install, but if you have sighted help it only takes a minute or less and once installed and once you check the little checkbox to use the function keys you can just forget about it.

If you do this then on a Windows PC you have to press FN along with F1, F2 or F3 to switch devices, but if, for example FN + F3 switches to you riPhone, then in order to switch back to one of your Windows computer you only press F1 or F2 since iOS won’t require the FN key.

Best regards,

Sieghard

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.