Re: BlueTooth Keyboard Recommendations

Correct, Logitech Options is required for Windows and then only if you want the function keys to work as regular function keys which of course I think most of us want.

You simply pair the keyboard to your first device by pressing and holding F1 for about 5 seconds, then pair it.

Repeat with F2 and F3 if you have 3 devices.

After that it’s simply a matter of firmly pressing F1, F2 or F3 to switch to the device  you want, if you have Logitech Options installed and enabled the function keys and if you are using the keyboard with a Windows PC then you have to press FN + F2 or F3 to switch to your other devices. Here is my setup:

F1 = my Windows laptop

F2 = my iPhone 8

F3 = our Apple TV

If I am on my Windows PC as I am now typing this email, if I wanted to switch to my iPhone or Apple TV, I would have to press FN + F2 to switch to my iPhone or FN + F3 to switch to the Apple TV.

If I am using my iPhone, i.e. I am on the F2 position and want to switch to either my Apple TV or PC I only have to press F1 for my laptop or F3 for my Apple TV, FN is not required here because the keyboard knows I am using it with iOS and here the function keys are simply media controls and F1, F2 and F3, the easy switch keys, do what they are programmed to do without pressing FN.

If you don’t install Logitech Options then even on a Windows PC you only have to press F1, F2 or F3 since in fact you have to press FN if you want, for example, Windows Help which is normally F1.

The FN key is simply a modifier, if you set the function keys to work as function keys you need the modifier to get the easy switch functionality, if you haven’t then the FN key is required to get the traditional function key action.