moderated Re: BlueTooth Keyboard Recommendations

Hi Tom,

If you want portable/compact the Logitech K780 is probably your best choice. It’s heavy because it’s made heavy since you can stand an iPad up in a channel which runs across from left to right above the function keys, but while it has a full numeric pad, it’s still fairly compact because it does not have the big gap you find on a full-size keyboard with the 6-pack and inverted cursor T. The K780 actually has the inverted cursor T, but it’s underneath the right shift key, think of the shift and enter key being the width of 3 other keys so the left arrow, down arrow and right arrow take up the same space as the shift key and in height the down arrow and up arrow above it are I think also the same height as the shift key.

The nice thing with this keyboard is that it is a Bluetooth keyboard, but it also comes with Logitech’s tiny unifying USB receiver so if you have a computer without Bluetooth (most likely your Windows 7 computer won’t have it), you can plug in the little dongle and use your Windows 7 PC that way and you can pair your Windows 1 PC which hopefully has Bluetooth via Bluetooth.

You can pair up to 3 devices with that keyboard so you could even pair it with your iPhone as a third device and all you have to do is press F1, F2 and F3 to switch between device 1, device 2 and device 3.

The one issue is that the function keys will not work as regular function keys unless you install the Logitech Options software where you can change this. It’s not a very accessible install, but if you have sighted help it only takes a minute or less and once installed and once you check the little checkbox to use the function keys you can just forget about it.

If you do this then on a Windows PC you have to press FN along with F1, F2 or F3 to switch devices, but if, for example FN + F3 switches to you riPhone, then in order to switch back to one of your Windows computer you only press F1 or F2 since iOS won’t require the FN key.

Having said all this, there is also a new full-size new Logitech keyboard and mouse combo I just read about. It is the Logitech MK850 and it can do 2 devices, also Bluetooth or USB dongle connectivity, also with regular batteries, I think 1 AA for the mouse and 2 AAA for the keyboard. The link I provided is for Best Buy Canada, but I’m sure you can easily find it on Best Buy or Amazon in the States, it is on Black Friday special for $79.95 Canadian so I assume in the States this may only be $59.99.

Lastly, there is the Logitech G613 which is a wireless mechanical gaming keyboard, but it of course is full-size and fairly heavy, but it has Windows keys both on the left and right of the spacebar, a working application key menu and you can also switch between Bluetooth and a USB dongle connection with a mechanical slider switch. It’s a very nice keyboard, I have the original version with the Romer G switches which I don’t like as much as the Cherry Blue switches I have on my other mechanical keyboards which are wired and from the “Das Keyboard” brand. I could have sworn the other day I stumbled across a G613 version with Blue switches but now I can’t seem to find it any more. The one I have I think is also on sale for $99 Canadian which means probably $79.99 US.

I am typing this on a Logitech K780 by the way which is my main keyboard I use at home with my laptop and for my iPhone if I need a keyboard there from time to time. I just saw both Best Buy Canada and Amazon Canada have it on sale for $73.98 which is also a good price, probably also $59.99 US or maybe even $49.99 in some places.

Best regards,

Sieghard