moderated Re: FS Reader 3 Crashing

Norma A. Boge

Regarding QRead, can anyone explain what the difference is between demo and paid ($30) mode?

And now for an editorial comment:

FS Reader worked very well for me for years. Now it is problematic. IMHO another FS product which is basic but instead we get bells and whistles. Terrific.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cristóbal
Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2019 12:37 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: FS Reader 3 Crashing

QRead is a good little program that really doesn’t need much if any support to it to keep working at this point.

It would of course be nice for it to get more updates and features, but as is, it does a solid job with ePub and other formats. PDF too.

I stopped using FSReader since QRead can handle not only Daisy, but all sorts of other formatted books as well.

I simply run the portable version of QRead from my Google Drive folder and thus am able to have synchronicity for all bookmarks and reading positions across my laptop/desktops where I’m signed in.

I know Kindle for PC has supposedly gotten a lot better with Jaws, but I’m reluctant to lock myself into the Kindle format/eco system as not every book I wish to read I can find in Kindle format and in general, again, don’t want to get more tied into Amazon stuff for every single service.

In general though, it would be great to have an eBook reading program that can also support things like notes, highlighting, footnotes with screen readers etc.

Cristóbal

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Griffith
Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2019 4:05 PM

Yes you are definitely right, QRead along with his other products has terrible support. Having said that QRead has been my eBook reader for years now and hopefully will continue to be so despite the fact that development seems to have ended. I also find QCast from the same stable works well on my system for the time being. They are the best of a limited range available for us I think.

Chicken Nugget has bit the dust and QFeed has also stopped working for me.

I think he is a talented programmer but has dreadful commitment to updating his software.

We are disadvantaged that the market eBook leader, Calibre, persists doggedly with a reading interface inaccessible  to Screen Readers.

On the other hand When I think about it at least 50% of the  other programs I regularly used were stopped from developing years ago, I use older versions of many programs but touch wood are still going strong. For example CDex 1.71,  Mp3DirectCut and Mp3Gain. I think some people  are still using WinAmp even though it stopped development years ago. I hope that QRead will be in the same category.

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 23 November 2019 23:16

Hi David,

Well, you are probably right about QRead and heading levels.  But, I did not find footnotes and internal hyperlinks accessible with it.  Mostly, these limitations apply to DAISY books.  However, the biggest problem with QRead is that it seems to have been abandoned and no longer supported.  Several months ago, an email I sent to them was never answered.  Others have likewise reported that it is no longer supported.

Bye,

Richard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Griffith
Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2019 3:02 PM

I am sorry you have problems with  FS Reader but have heard other similarly complaining.  It does not sound like it is fit for purpose with eBooks.

I have never used FS Reader for eBooks- it certainly cannot cope with any of the  ePub books  I have just tried it with. I don’t have access to any text based Daisy Books to test it with. Where  do you get these from??

I am however, slightly confused by you saying QRead cannot handle heading levels.

I have just checked again with some ePub books, and provided the books have a heading structure these are easily accessed in QRead as normal by pressing control H which brings up the list of heading and allows you to navigate to them.

Balabolka is a free TTS based eBook reader which has a radically different interface and learning curve. You can however also access headings in this, as from memory Balabolka  creates  automatic bookmarks of each heading which you access with the, from memory F2 key but I would have to go back and check this.

With any web links in eBooks I always copy these out anyway but I suspect you are talking about internal links?

David Griffith

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard B. McDonald
Sent: 23 November 2019 22:27
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: FS Reader 3 Crashing

Hi!

I am using JAWS 2019, fully updated.  I have a laptop running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, and a desktop running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - both fully updated.

When running FS Reader 3 on either computer, if I press JAWSKey+DownArrow to “say all,” JAWS crashes, then restarts and then FS Reader freezes.  On the laptop with Windows 7, most often FS Reader and JAWS both crash after starting FS Reader and then trying to open a book.  Even if by some chance FS Reader opens the book on the laptop, it then crashes as previously described.

I have tried two different readers - Bookworm and QRead.  Neither seems good.  For example, neither seems to be able to read hyperlinked footnotes nor handle heading levels nor internal links - as does FS Reader (when working).  Primarily, this is all with DAISY eBooks; although I have also tried ePub and other formats all with the same problems.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for another DAISY reader?  Or, does anyone have any solution to these problems with FS Reader?

Thanks,

Richard

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.