moderated Re: JAWS and Think Pad

Are you sure you didn’t just press the key combination for Mute?

I also used to have a Thinkpad, it was an IBM Thinkpad with a 486 processor and I think it was around 1990 or 1991, does that count? 😊

That thing was around $7,000 Canadian at the time, boy, have we come a long way.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Maria Campbell
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2019 8:02 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: JAWS and Think Pad

    Actually, that key combination does sound right, but when I tried them I got no sound and had to do a hard restart to get sound back.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

On 11/19/2019 7:40 PM, Jason White via Groups.Io wrote:

I’m sorry – I might have given the wrong keystroke. Can anyone else remember what the keystroke is to switch the action of the function keys?

From: <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Maria Campbell <lucky1inct@...>
Date: Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at 18:59
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>

Uh, I did that and lost all sound.  Had to do a hard shutdown with my Lenovo.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

On 11/19/2019 6:53 PM, Jason White via Groups.Io wrote:

I don’t think so. So far as I know, it’s specific to Lenovo.

From: <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Maria Campbell <lucky1inct@...>
Date: Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at 18:45
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>

Is that function key plus escape of use with all laptops?

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

On 11/19/2019 6:38 PM, Jason White via Groups.Io wrote:

I use JAWS on a ThinkPad P51. It’s a 15-inch laptop with numeric keypad, and designed for high performance. The successor model is the P53, which I think is currently available.

If this is too heavy (and it is not light weight), there’s the ThinkPad P1, which also offers high performance in terms of memory, CPU and storage, but without the numeric keypad. Obviously, there are other models. I haven’t used a P1, but I do have access to a Lenovo ThinkPad P50S at work, which also runs JAWS well. The P50S has the numeric keypad keys too.

The important change I made on my laptop was to press FN+Escape to switch the function keys from acting as special controls to serving as actual function keys.

From: <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Marianne Denning <marianne@...>
Date: Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at 18:23
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: JAWS and Think Pad

Has anyone ever used JAWS on a Think Pad? If so, what Think Pad?