Re: Try label instead of envelope printing for addresses was RE: Addressing envelopes

Tony,

I'll describe how I do it with Word 1010 on my desktop computer running Windows 7. Your results may vary depending on your version of Wofd.

1.   Open the applicable docx file with the label. I normally save mailing label files which only contain the address to be printed.

2.   I press alt + M to place focus on the top ribbon bar and right arrow until Mailings has focus then I down arrow to move to the lower ribbon bar.

3.   I right arrow until I hear Labels and press the enter key.

4.   A mailing label dialog opens with the address from the docx file already listed and highlighted in the address section of the dialog.

5.   Alt + F selects the radio button to print a full page of the same label and alt + N selects the radio button to print a single label.

6.   Tab once to move to the spin box to select the row of labels on which the single label is located and tab once again to move to the spinner box to select the column to select the appropriate column.

7.    Press alt + O to open the dialog where you can select the label model and type.

8.   After all settings are selected, press alt + P to print the label.

Alan Lemly

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tony
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2019 3:42 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Try label instead of envelope printing for addresses was RE: Addressing envelopes

How do I tell Word which position to print a label.  The times I have tried it arrowing down or right did not always go to the position I intended.

Tony

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Alan Lemly
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 5:21 PM
Subject: Re: Try label instead of envelope printing for addresses was RE: Addressing envelopes

Tony,

If I'm understanding your question, I don't have any great workarounds for identifying which labels are left on a sheet of Avery 5160 which contain 10 rows of 3 labels per row as I mentioned in my first post. I can sort of feel by touch which labels have been used so I can properly identify the row and column of the next unused label when printing individual labels. Also, when I've moved down a sheet so that the only ones left are the bottom two rows, I can flip the sheet over so that those two remaining rows are at the top so it's like I'm starting with row 1 again.

I hope this helps but post back if I misunderstood your question.

Alan

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tony
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 12:20 PM

I have had some problems putting individual labels into the correct spot on a partially used label sheet.  Do you have any suggestions for that?

Tony

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Alan Lemly
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 9:47 AM
Subject: Try label instead of envelope printing for addresses was RE: Addressing envelopes

I learned a long time ago after repeated envelope jams in the office laser printer to print on labels instead of envelopes. I prefer the Avery 5160 labels which come 3 to a row with 10 rows for a total of 30 labels on a sheet the same size as an 8 and a half by 11 inch sheet of paper and that can be loaded in a laser printer paper tray. Microsoft Word allows for label printing and you can select the label type and style and either print a full page of the same label or specifically identify what row and column label you are printing and print them individually. The sheet never jams in my black and white laser printer and I remove the printed label from the sheet and stick it on my envelope of choice for mailing. I keep a full sheet of return address labels which I use as needed.

I recommend that those having trouble printing addresses on envelopes give this method a go. It works great with Word 2010.

Alan Lemly

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of CJ &AA MAY
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 7:56 AM
Subject: Re: Addressing envelopes

Yes, that is true. The instructions I gave assumed you were in M S Word.

Alison

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy via Groups.Io
Sent: 06 November 2019 11:55
Subject: Re: Addressing envelopes

You are not making any sense.  You cannot print an envelope without some kind of program.  You cannot simply place an envelope in the printer and print an address on it without launching a program like MS Word to print it.  So which program are you using?

Gerald

On 11/6/2019 3:56 AM, CJ &AA MAY wrote:

Until I bought my Dymo Label Printer I just printed envelopes in the following way without the need to get special programmes:

First, take out your paper from the printer and place your envelope in it with the flap facing upwards and move the slider across till it touches the edge of the envelope.

Now save the address to your clipboard.

Then press alt m (for mail) and e (for envelope) and the press enter on the first option, which I think is envelopes and copy the address into the edit field.

Then tab down to print.

Hopefully the job is doen.

But I have to say my Dymo label printer is one of the most useful gadgets I have ever purchased.

Alison

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.